This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading time again to RC3

I'm just asking to see if there is an easier way to upgrade. I didn't like the way KDE upgraded last time with the crash and all. Should I possibly log out of KDE and upgrade from the prompt? Would this work better? If not what would? Thank you
    Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Re: Upgrading time again to RC3

I did upgrade from the console, it still crashed in the middle at some GPG package. Had to remove broken package from apt cache manually, re-download and run apt-get dist-upgrade again. This time it went smooth. But I am not impressed by RC3 -- there is no improvements to talk about and desktop is actually painfully slower than KDE 4.2.4. Dragging or resizing windows is like swimming in molasses. This is on an Intel Core i7 i940 desktop with 6 GB memory and ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card (latest Catalyst drivers) and with desktop effects disabled. Let's hope slowness is caused by debugging hooks in the code that will be removed by release time. Right now, it works awfully slow here.

Comment

I did the upgrade from within KDE from the notifier and all went smooth. It didn't ask for a restart so I did it manually and it all came up fine. I see no noticeable difference and yes bamyasi it is slower than 4.2. I hope this will be fixed in the final release in early August. The 3rd I believe.
      Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

I didn't do the upgrade from KPackageKit, but I forget whether I used Synaptic or just apt-get. Either way, the only difficulty was that Konqueror and some other apps would throw up errors when I started them (then work just fine anyways) until I ended the session.

Still some issues, but they're Kubuntu+RC3 issues (like file move operations being hella dangerous, forcing me to use copy+paste then delete instead lest I loose my data) not anything to do with upgrading while still running.

Comment

Working...
        X