This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xorg High CPU

I've been a KDE guy for a long time, but I can't really run Kubuntu 9.04 because (according to TOP) my xorg is constantly running between 30% - 100%. This is with only Konsole and TOP running. So while yes I can run it, there is a lot of slow down until the system becomes unusable for a few moments. Is there a fix for this? Everything runs nice an cool in gnome, but I'd rather be back in the KDE world.

And of course, below is my graphics chip, anyone surprised? I'm running it with intrepid drivers since the kernel upgrade killed my suspend for some reason.

Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM

Thanks for your help.
    Don't Panic!

Re: Xorg High CPU

I doubt GNOME is running OK with Jaunty on that IGP
    Please see this thread (please read it all, in particular, there is a new kernel in proposed updates that may fix that, see my post in this regard)

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3105045.0

Comment

I have a very similar issue, although not exactly the same, and I think it probably happened when I did the latest kernel update or to KDE 4.3 RC2. Not sure which although using the 28.13 and 28.11 kernels doesn't fix the problem.

Anyway, By about 20/25 seconds I'm at the KDE splash screen. 30 seconds later, I get a black screen with a cursor. Hard drive bangs away for about 20 secs, then I get just the gkrell monitor, interestingly showing the system is using just under 700MB ram at that stage, which is where it stays.

About 20/25 seconds after that, my desktop appears. So the system takes 25 seconds to boot, and about an extra minute to get to the desktop.

Once up and running, it seems Okay. However, running Top shows that xorg is taking up about 25% of my computers memory, about 500Mb in total. Plasma is thrashing the CPU. Hitting the off button then requires a 30 second wait before anything happens, with plasma using 100% CPU. Currently running gnome - no problems, definitely a KDE issue.

Anyone any clues on how to fix it?

Thanks

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
        I doubt GNOME is running OK with Jaunty on that IGP
        Please see this thread (please read it all, in particular, there is a new kernel in proposed updates that may fix that, see my post in this regard)

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3105045.0
        Thank you for the reply. As I said I'm using the intrepid driver for my Intel chip, and it does run very nicely under gnome. Thanks for the link. I have gone through with the "optimal" update which did improve the video, but didn't solve the xorg problem, and broke suspend on my notebook. Any other suggestions on why xorg would be running so hot under KDE? I tried 4.3rc2 to see if that fixed anything, but couldn't get Digikam to work properly and didn't stick around to find out.
        Don't Panic!

Comment

Sorry it didn't help. Suspend is ok in my eee with that fix. I would probably try [ctrl][esc], and select the tree view in the system view, to see if it really is a specific process forked off of xorg ... that might shed some light!

Comment

I have been able to fix this - everything is now behaving itself

The answer for me was to rename my /home/.kde file and to allow a new one to be formed on reboot. There appeared to be something creating a conflict.Instantly solved the problem for me and all is well.

OP - I suggest you give this a try.

Comment

i have this same issue on my laptop using the nvidia-96 driver (geforce 440 go).
              reguardless of destop enviroment. i have used gnome , kde, xfce, and lxde, also tried switched to gdm & xdm and on this machine xorg just takes cpu cycles away from things
              for example using scp my max speed w/ xorg running is ~9mpbs (over eth0)
              and with out xorg running my scp speed is ~11mbps...

has anyone some advice to offer to resolve this or at least speed it up some more?
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

96.43.11 is the current driver. There's a pre-release of 96.43.13 available if you want to try it and see if it makes any difference.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

Comment

thanks dibl i shall give that a go, almost didn't reconize you for a second there, i see you changed ur head. lol.
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Don't know why I didn't think to do this before. I will give it a go. Thanks again for the help.

Originally posted by lmilano
                    Sorry it didn't help. Suspend is ok in my eee with that fix. I would probably try [ctrl][esc], and select the tree view in the system view, to see if it really is a specific process forked off of xorg ... that might shed some light!
                    Don't Panic!

Comment

Working...
                    X