This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 3.5 missing search engines

I installed the firefox-3.5 package from the repos and removed the old firefox-3.0. Everything is working, except that all of the search engines in the search bar are missing. And if I go to the "Manage Search Engines" dialog, the "Restore Defaults" button is grayed out. I tried starting Firefox in safe-mode to restore them, as described on MozillaZine, but that didn't work either. Neither did creating a new profile. How do I get them back?

I tried manually installing the Google one from the Mozilla add-ons site, but the only choice I can find is "Google (Language EN)" which is not the same as the original. Any help appreciated.

Re: Firefox 3.5 missing search engines

Mmm, I am running 3.5 here from the repos. THe engines are there, and choosing defaults is definitely working. Is it possible that you need to have both 3.0 and 3.5 installed for this to run? I haven't uninstalled 3.0 yet becuase it forces me to uninstall Java. I may try at some point though, I'll let you know if I find anything else worth mentioning ...

By the way, at work I use XP (I have no choice). Firefox 3.5 seems _slower_ in XP than 3.1. In Linux however (@home), firefox 3.5 seems to be so much faster, both start up time and webpage rendering, have you noticed that? I think it is going to my eeepc too!

Comment

Yes, you're right. If I reinstall firefox-3.0, the search engines reappear. Thanks for the tip. Obviously a bug. Oh well, I can just change the "firefox" symlink to point to Firefox 3.5 and pretend 3.0 isn't there.

Originally posted by lmilano
      By the way, at work I use XP (I have no choice). Firefox 3.5 seems _slower_ in XP than 3.1. In Linux however (@home), firefox 3.5 seems to be so much faster, both start up time and webpage rendering, have you noticed that? I think it is going to my eeepc too!
      I also use XP at work, unfortunately. I don't see any speed difference between 3.0 and 3.5 on XP, although my officemate insists 3.5 is slower to start up. On Linux, I haven't been using 3.5 long enough to judge one way or the other.

Comment

Glad it worked!

Yes, it is unsupported, besides playing with it, it is prolly better to wait for golden for most people

In fact, I just tried on the eeepc and Hulu works pretty badly, installation was tough because it recommendes a million packages, so I ignored them, and that might be why things dont work very well

My desktop is 64 bit, they may be packaged differently -- all in all, its best to wait for Karmic for this, at least for the average user

Comment

Working...
        X