Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] [FreeNX] What do you use for remote desktop connection?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] [FreeNX] What do you use for remote desktop connection?

[Update: the answer is FreeNX / Nx Client, see below]

Hi

I have been using krdc and krfb to remote into my eeepc from my desktop. That was fine in KDE3, but it's been miserable in KDE4. I could go on with the multiple issues I have, but it's probably a waste, because I am sure it happens to everyone.

What are you guys using for remoting in KDE4? Should I look into NoMachine NX? Or is it working any better in KDE 4.3? (I will swtich into it when it goes golden if it proves stable)

Many thanks for any thoughts ...

Re: What do you use for remote desktop connection?

I have used NoMachine NX in the past and it works very well. On the other hand, if you only need to remote one or two apps, you could use X11 forwarding over SSH. Just add the "-Y" switch to ssh and you can start graphical apps remotely.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer! Yes, I do use X11 fwd over ssh, but in the opposite direction (sitting in the eeepc, reading kmail from the desktop). It's great for that, you can add an icon to run the remote app.

The remoting thing is to be able to do things in the eee where I need a keyboard, In part because it is partially dead. In part because I sometimes use the eee as a TV PC, and for some things remoting into it is more convenient than using the wireless keyboard.

Do you remember off the top of your head if you used the usual repos for NX or if you had to download from somewhere else, etc? Any pointers for config? Is it a few clicks or a RTFM thing?

Many thanks !

Comment

I downloaded it from their site, although I was using openSUSE at the time. Configuration was pretty straightforward as I recall--minimal (if any) command line work.

Comment

Thanks again, Rob

Worked like a Charm. I'll write some notes in case it helps someone else:

I used the instructions here (and I took all the default/simplest advice):
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX

Install was a breeze. The server on the eee, the client on the desktop.

That's about it, the only notable thing is that, for what I needed (kind of a RDC), the best way to go is to choose, in the client configuration, Desktop type == Shadow. This allows you to see the same as is being displayed in the server, like you would do in VNC/RDC.

If you want to do the thin client thing (connect a crappy PC with a decent keyboard and display to a powerful "server" machine to run your stuff from there), then you should use the Desktop as KDE. This will allow you to log into a new KDE session.

This software is absolutely outstanding. I just works. HIGHLY recommended.

Cheers,
          Leo

Comment

Working...
          X