This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading Difficulties

I just did the upgrade to RC2 from RC1 and my x server crashed. I waited until there was no more hard drive activity, it took about 2 minutes for that to happen, then I restarted my computer with the power button. However, it went to the login screen and when I put my password in it went right back to the login screen and just kept looping. I thought I was screwed but then I restarted my computer with the power button again and chose recovery mode and when the screen came up for recovery options I chose dpkg, something like that, and it went through it's thing and said there were no upgrades but then asked me if I wanted to upgrade, go figure, anyway I typed Y and it did what looked like a total upgrade then said there were 11 packages to uninstall but I chose N because I didn't know what it wanted to take out. When it finished I restarted and it booted normal and I have RC2 now. Was there a better way to upgrade?
    Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Re: Upgrading Difficulties

I had similar problems, I think the kdm upgrade caused kdm to restart which kills your x session. I would have done the upgrade in a tty but due to various complications it wasn't going to happen. Hopefully the upgrade to final will be smoother.
    Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

Re: Upgrading Difficulties

I just did the updates, from my notifier icon, a few minutes ago, there were 19, and the x server crashed during this update. However, my computer restarted normal this time after using the power button. I sure hope this is fixed too in final.
      Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

Working...
      X