Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I upgrade to the Kernel 2.6.28-13?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    When I tried both Xubuntu and Ubuntu Jaunty they automatically upgraded from Kernel 2.6.28-11 to Kernel 2.6.28-13
    But with Kubuntu Jaunty my software updater doesn't work half the time.

I had tested Kubuntu Jaunty before and it worked well. It uses memory better than Ubuntu and the CPU isn't running at 100% all the time compared to both other versions.

I reformatted my HD and installed it fresh but am having problems!
    I've had it for about a week this time.
    I have a 1.5 GHz computer with 2 GB of RAM.
    Thanks
    Ed

Re: How do I upgrade to the Kernel 2.6.28-13?

frm konsole;

1. sudo apt-get install synaptic

2. sudo synaptic and reload yr repo software.

3. look for linux-image-2.6.28-13-generic and install.

post back if u have an issue.

Comment

What is the error you're seeing? If the update is "blocked", try the following:

Code:
      sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your help.

marcopl, I did # 1 and #2 but don't understand what "...reload yr repo software" means. yr =your but does repo mean?

What I did was sudo synaptic but it was locked up.
        So I opened KPackageKit Software Management, looked for linux-image-2.6.28-13-generic and found it was already installed!
        I rebooted and saw that Kernel 2.6.28-13 was now listed. Clicked on that.
        Now synaptic works fine.

Rob_H, I did your suggestion also "sudo aptitude dist-upgrade" and it removed linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic. Less clutter.

I just now tested this new Kernel by opening normal 5 Firefox windows plus various tabs in 3 of the 5 desktops and everything is working fairly well. The CPU runs at 100% for only a short while then drops back to between 30 - 40%. The RAM available started at 1536 MB out of 2 GB. That's lower than either Xubuntu or Ubuntu's 1700+ MB to start but Ubuntu drops so fast I usually have to reboot 2 to 3 times in a 12+ hr day. Xubuntu does better but still drops fairly fast. With Kubuntu I'm at 1112 MB and I have not many long waits after clicking or keyboard input.

The older Ubuntu OSes were much better at RAM and CPU usage but are no longer supported.

Anyway thanks for your help.

BTW. "repo software" means?
        Ed

Comment

repo => repository - a list of software you can install.

You have to press the 'reload' button in Synaptic after it starts to make sure you are working with the most up to date list.

Comment

tomchiverton,

Thank you for the definition.
            I couldn't figure it out, even though I'm not a Newbie.
            I've been on the Web since it's inception, worked with Main frames and got my 1st PC computer - the top of the line Rolls Royce of PCs - Compaq Pro XT! It had a whopping 10 MB Hard Drive! Enough to last a lifetime.

I hated the Black screen with white letters. I still do. Then I got an CRT with an Amber background and Black letters. Much easier on the eyes. Is there an alternative terminal that has a light/white background with Black letters? The Konsole Terminal is a pain. I know when I was using Lindows + Linspire I was able to get one that way. Is anything available in Kubuntu?

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by rightusa
              Thanks to both of you for your help.

marcopl, I did # 1 and #2 but don't understand what "...reload yr repo software" means. yr =your but does repo mean?

What I did was sudo synaptic but it was locked up.
              So I opened KPackageKit Software Management, looked for linux-image-2.6.28-13-generic and found it was already installed!
              I rebooted and saw that Kernel 2.6.28-13 was now listed. Clicked on that.
              Now synaptic works fine.

Rob_H, I did your suggestion also "sudo aptitude dist-upgrade" and it removed linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic. Less clutter.

I just now tested this new Kernel by opening normal 5 Firefox windows plus various tabs in 3 of the 5 desktops and everything is working fairly well. The CPU runs at 100% for only a short while then drops back to between 30 - 40%. The RAM available started at 1536 MB out of 2 GB. That's lower than either Xubuntu or Ubuntu's 1700+ MB to start but Ubuntu drops so fast I usually have to reboot 2 to 3 times in a 12+ hr day. Xubuntu does better but still drops fairly fast. With Kubuntu I'm at 1112 MB and I have not many long waits after clicking or keyboard input.

The older Ubuntu OSes were much better at RAM and CPU usage but are no longer supported.

Anyway thanks for your help.

BTW. "repo software" means?
              Ed
              sorry for the late reply.

repo -> repository. thats where u can download kubuntu software packages frm.
              yr -> your

sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by rightusa
                Is there an alternative terminal that has a light/white background with Black letters? The Konsole Terminal is a pain.
                U can open the konsole terminal ->settings ->edit current profile -> appearance -> choose Black on White backgrnd or anyother scheme.

then click apply.

Comment

Working...
                X