Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shame on UbuntuOne - how to remove it?

When I installed it, KPackagekit clearly showed what extra packages would be installed, and I had to click 'ok' for it to continue. Same would go for using dpkg or apt-get to install it. The "add ppa' package simply adds the ubuntu1 apt repo to your system. I just installed it on my karmic box and have no problem sharing files between the 2 right now.

Though it is awful that we have to install so many extra libs and other deps (synaptic is probably being pulled in by one of U1's dependencies, that one could probably be easily fixed) you kinda have to expect this sort of thing as even though I love Kubuntu and KDE, Ubuntu, and thus Gnome, is the big dog here

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
      [...] Ubuntu, and thus Gnome, is the big dog here
      Yep, and it wasn't like that at all when Ubuntu was first announced. At that time, KDE was more popular, but the amazing success of Ubuntu, and the fact that it uses Gnome by default, made a big difference in the next few years. Kind of strange they made that decision, given how much slicker KDE is, how much more advanced its technology (Qt & KDE Libs). In the end, I am just glad I can use KDE in a popular distro as *buntu where each time there is a little bug you get help, online solutions and what not.

Comment

Ubuntu was started by a group of Debian Gnome users

I think Gnome has gained some extra traction from Ubuntu, but Debian. Fedora and Red Hat have been Gnome-based for much longer so I don't think Ubuntu can take all the credit

And there is this google trend search

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
          When I installed it, KPackagekit clearly showed what extra packages would be installed, and I had to click 'ok' for it to continue. Same would go for using dpkg or apt-get to install it...
          KPackagekit hasn't been working well for me... I am still on GDebiKDE.

But whatever, with beta software one shouldn't be at all surprised or upset that the guidance is beta as well... I really did think that only the repo was going to be added though... probably didn't pay attention the rest of the way through the install.

Comment

I got caught out in a similar fashion when I installed something recently, not through the installation of Ubuntu one though.

I installed Firefox 3.5 B4 using Kpackagekit, and then followed a howto to make Firefox integrate a little better into KDE, once again using Kpackagekit.

Being a GNOME based app, both actions pulled down a heap of GNOME packages, much more that installing Firefox 3.0.11.

Don't ask me why 3.5 B4 'needed' all the extra bits.

It bothered me that so much was pulled down and for the life of me I couldn't understand why some of the packages were at all relevant.

As it turns out, Kpackagekit, at this stage in it's development also pulls down the 'recommended' packages as well as those actually 'required'. Give it time and hopefully this will be recitified.

Running apt-get autoremove tidied things up.

Not only that it also bought to light another feature that I would like to see in Kpackagekit, 'install and uninstall history'. Adept doesn't seem to have a history feature either.

Synaptic, does both well, ie block recommended and provide a history and I miss that functionality.

So to cut a long story short, this is what I now do when installing items in KDE, for the purpose of trying out something new.

I delete all .debs from /var/cache/apt/archives.

Which means that when the new install is done, only the packages pulled down are present in the cache.

If things go west, I use the cache contents as a check list to undo the damage.

Comment

Originally posted by merlyn.the.mage
              ...If things go west, I use the cache contents as a check list to undo the damage.
              I really to hate to get off-topic, but I really must know... do you really say "Go west" in Australia The US phrase is "go south". Or are you just having a little fun at the west's expense?

Comment

In my case, the deb file only adds the repository and the key. I was fully aware of the dependency requirement before I installed the thing in apt. So I didn't find any wrongdoing in Canonical's part.

I am also put off by the GNOME dependencies. My current quick fix is to install Ubuntuone inside the Ubuntu 9.04 guest machine under Virtualbox. (Sounds like an overkill?) This works well so far. Hopefully this is just a temporary transition and we will have a proper KDE client when 9.10 comes out. When that happens, I will delete the Virtualbox guest machine.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
                  Originally posted by merlyn.the.mage
                  ...If things go west, I use the cache contents as a check list to undo the damage.
                  I really to hate to get off-topic, but I really must know... do you really say "Go west" in Australia The US phrase is "go south". Or are you just having a little fun at the west's expense?
                  Yes mate, the phrase "go west" is used here in OZ.

I guess it's just one of those peculiar sayings that have a "regional" context.

I'm off to make myself a peanut butter and jam sandwich now.

Cheers

Comment

How to get rid of UbuntuOne artifacts?

I also installed UbuntuOne, then decided I did not like it. I have done apt-get remove and purge and still every time I start up I get an automatic launch of Nautilus, which I do not want to see.

Also, at shutdown, there comes up a plain dark-blue screen with windows-looking buttons for the two applications I have installed under Wine.

Any idea what is going on and how to get rid of it? Should I just remove nautilus

Thanks in advance.
                    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X