This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to add kde-nightly as kdm session type

Running jaunty with kde 4.2.95 from backports. Everything looks great, no problems there. I also have kde-nightly installed from Project Neon. It conveniently installs in /opt/kde-nightly, and uses ~/.kde-nightly for config info, so it doesn't interfere with a working kde or kde4 installation. Using the little .bashrc trick from KDE Techbase I can run individual programs from the nightly build. So far so good.

I recently added gnome-desktop for my better half who prefers gnome to kde. It added gnome as a menu item at the kdm login screen. What I would like to do is add kde-nightly as a kdm menu item so I can run kde-nightly as a complete session rather than one program at a time. I've wandered around /etc/X11 and /etc/kde4, but it's not obvious to me how to add a session type. Any pointers to a howto or other docs on the subject would be most appreciated.
    linux since slack 2. kde since beta 1. kubuntu since hardy.

Re: how to add kde-nightly as kdm session type

Look in your /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/sessions/ directory: you should see a kde.desktop file. As root, make a copy of it and rename the copy to something like "kde-nightly.desktop" via:
    Code:
    # cp /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/sessions/kde.desktop /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/sessions/kde-nightly.desktop
    Then, open the kde-nightly.desktop file with your favorite text editor (I'm going to use Kate):
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/sessions/kde-nightly.desktop
    Change the path to the startkde script from /usr/bin/startkde to wherever Project Neon installed it, probably /opt/kde-nightly/bin/startkde, and change the name to something more descriptive of your installation, like "KDE Nightly":
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Type=XSession
    Exec=/opt/kde-nightly/bin/startkde
    TryExec=/opt/kde-nightly/bin/startkde
    Name=KDE Nightly
    Comment=The K Desktop Environment. A powerful Open Source graphical desktop environment
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=desktop_kdebase-workspace
    Log out, and you should then be able to log in to a full KDE Nightly session!
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Re: how to add kde-nightly as kdm session type

The package 'kde-nightly' should install kde4-neon.desktop file to /usr/share/xsessions automatically. If you don't have that, try (re)installing kde-nightly first.

If you have the file, but kde-neon does not show up on kdm, check your /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc to see if you have a modified SessionDirs variable (by default it should check /usr/share/xsessions)

Comment

Re: how to add kde-nightly as kdm session type (RESOLVED)

Thanks, integr8te and kubicle. I figured it out myself with a little more poking around.
        linux since slack 2. kde since beta 1. kubuntu since hardy.

Comment

Working...
        X