This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

streamtuner no streams

I like streamtuner, because I can select and streamripper something I like.

But the new Kubuntu doesn't show the streams at all. Maybe I'm missing something in the installation but I'm not sure at all.

Any idea's or suggestions?

The Zib

Re: streamtuner no streams

streams from shoutcast? or all of them?

if it is shoutcast here is a solution:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...outcast&page=2

Comment

so I guess that streamtuner and streamripper aren't working anymore.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

...Try Streamtuner2 - http://milki.erphesfurt.de/streamtuner2/ ...
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I'll do that.
          I got one of the tabs to work but apparently, either the app has not been maintained or the RIAA has done something to the file format of streams in the U.S. that are in things like shoutcast or Soma FM.

Thanks, I'll try it.

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Arochester.

Thanks again for the linky.

Well, just as I predicted and was duely covered in scorn many years ago, when I said that the RIAA and a certain congresswoman from California would put up a digital wall around the U.S it has happened. Of course I was snottily told in no uncertain terms that I just "didn't understand"...and that she, and they, would never do that because she...is "for the people". Stupid old woodsmoker.....I was correct....again! One station, IN THE U.S...is conspicuous by it's absence.

Again, thanks for the tip about streamtuner2 it works great. All but the few Shoutcast stations that I predicted would not be there are there... I greatly prefer SomaFM but....well that is life in the fast lane of the brave new world of "the woodsmoker just doesn't get it".

But...it works great!!! I found a couple of Goth stations from Europe and they will have to do!

The devs have done a great job on the app. It even has bookmarks! lol

The skin is nice and clean, and it finds what it considers to be, I guess, the best player to use.

Just as an experiment I removed the player that it was using and it found, without a single peep, another player and just kept on going without missing.....a.......oooohhhh wait for it! without missing a beat!

Hey, thanks again for the linky. I had never even heard of ST2 and am glad to be using it!

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Unfortunately, not being from the US, I'm kind of lost in some of this.
              One station, IN THE U.S...is conspicuous by it's absence.
              What station?

Based in Scotland I can go to the SomaFM website - http://somafm.com/listen/. If I click on "Popup Player Beta" I can hear SomaFM channels. It appears to be Flash based...
              "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

http://somafm.com/listen/ works fine here in Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat using rekonq. In my case, rekonq asks me what to do with the MP3 Shoutcast Playlist selection. I choose 'Open' and here, qmmp launches with the selection. I click on Play and there you go. Works fine.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ARochester, you do not have the RIAA wall yet.

And SnowHog, yes indeedy you are completely correct, you can indeed LISTEN to SomaFM in the U.S.

I, personally, you can verify this with people that have known me for a long time, donate regularly to SOMA FM, I donated large when Rusty testified in Congress about the cr@##)*^ that RIAA is doing. Basically they went to Europe, forgot the name of the station, that had an internet station wherein one could only listen if one paid a fee. That paid fee, remember the only way to listen was to pay the fee, was used by the RIAA to calculate how much money the U.S. stations/bands/Sony Et.Al. were "losing" by not collecting fees from streaming radio.

How many times have we heard this from ANOTHER predatory company?

Rusty testified to this effect that the model was invalid for the U.S. because the stations were dependent on donations and that if, as the RIAA wanted, that Soma etc. had to pay the CALCULATED fees then all of the stations would go off the air.

SOMA FM does not "play cd tracks" without paying for the tracks. SOMA FM has always been legitimate, but you will also notice that when they play a "track" it is always "truncated" in some way. Thus even if someone copied the track and "shared it", he or she would not have the whole track.

The "judges", this is all hokum and everybody knows it, the RIAA is not a "real" body, it is a "representative" for the music vendors so that the music vendors don't have to go to court, then kind of cut the baby in half and told SOMA FM, and the others, that they had a year or so to get their act together to get a cash flow going of some kind at a much lower level than the RIAA wanted and that the whole thing would be revisited in a few years.

You will notice that this was about five years ago and you might note also which President was in office and which President did NOT want to go after the internet radio. However "elected representatives and senators" in congress did, for different reasons it is all about money or facetime on television that is promoted by various media companies. And the facetime is used to get re-elected.

No "donation money" is attached to facetime.

But, to continue, about 6 months after this Shoutcast changed it's format. The old format had an url that could be easily plugged into any music player, it it would take a .pls, which a lot of music players did not. The web is strewn with posts from people wanting to know how to get a .pls to play, I posted quite a few myself mainly about xmms2 which had about that time also, replaced xmms.

But, back to Shoutcast. Shoutcast had always had a media player that one could install for free, for windows, and two that were paid. The new format really emphasized getting one of the media players and there was a really odd link at the top left of the first page that said something to the effect of:

"Miss the classic Shoutcast? Click here".

When one clicked there one did, indeed, get the old shoutcast. The difference being that the new one was not nearly intuitive for the "new" people as to how to get the URL of the stream.

And that was done, quite simply to begin reducing the number of people that would use something like streamtuner and it's related apps.

To get the revenue up for the RIAA's next attempt, they want you to be clicking adverts at the Shoutcast site and be paying one of the fees for the paid player.

It is simple economics.

Search as you may on the Shoutcast site and you will not now find a link to a "classic shoutcast".

This is a perfect example of what is known in politcs, and business, as "kick the ball down the road". If one kicks the ball down the road long enough, then the original people that were "against" something go by the wayside because of exhaustion. Or people were used to buying a certain "thing" and if one kicked the ball down the road long enough, by reducing the ability to get at the original product then the majority of the "new" people would only know about the new product.

The same thing goes on in politics. Get something into law first, let people complain about it, kick the ball down the road over and over, the complainers get tired, the new people don't know anything else, and eventually the law that nobody wanted is "accepted" by the new people who

have never known the better way of doing things...

And why was it better before? Because, by and large, the people recognized it as a workable method. And if the method was to change, then it would change "organically" from within, as opposed to being forced upon one from top down.

But, to get back to Shoutcast and SOMAfm.

The present, new, generation of people don't know a Shoutcast or a SomaFM with no adverts.

Kick the ball down the road.

The adverts that I see now at Shoutcast, Advil on the top a nice color banner and at the bottom, three "sponsored links" were not there in the original shoutcast and that was for one, very simple, reason.

The OLDER Linux people, and people who are really INTO free and open software/music for the long haul, that are willing to pledge their work and time, and yes, money...by and large do not WANT the links there.

But one can see how the median population group of people that use Linux has changed in one simple way.

How often does one see people asking how to get Flash enabled?

The "old guard" of Linux held Flash to be anathema(I know they hate religious terms, but it is apropos), because they just didn't want that stuff IN THEIR FACE....lol.....

Well....they now have it and to a fare the well.....although one can remove it, or block it, and that is why the ability is there....a lot of people do not want to see adverts.

As a side note, there is even a Linux that is workable now that has TOTALLY...........NO........software in it that has even the faintest whiff of money, there are a couple, but the best one is TrisQuel.

So...again.... if you go to SOMA FM, on the right hand side you will see a big long advert for downloading players, and prominently displayed are winamp(the free and the monthly fee ones) I tunes player and windows media player, the Windows player was never "prominently" displayed before and in the donations you will also see two new things.

The support page has a HUGE long banner about sweatshirts and t-shirts..

They have always had stuff to sell but now it is pushed much more and more prominently and there is also a big blip for "one time donations". They never wanted one time donations, an operation like this depends on monthly donations but the costs have ramped up so much, because of RIAA, that they now have to really be fund raising all the time. If you go to the support us you will notice that the costs are now in the in the 20,000 usd a month range....this is not because in two years the cost of bandwidth went up from 5 to 20 thousand, it is to pay the RIAA.

So.... that is the sad story of how the U.S. is being hemmed in behind a digital wall and the parties that are attendant thereupon, both for different reasons.

But still the thing that galls me is that the party that ballyhoos that it is "for the people" is the party that started the initial legislation, at least the OTHER party is open and above board about big money and big business.

What I can't stand is hypocrisy.

And, you might notice again, that the legislation was not....ummm....stopped....at some time in the last two years... which it could have been in a heart beat.

But, as to listening to SOMA FM through stream tuner, I found a nefarious scheme under a rock that some elf had inadvertently left, so I'm a happy camper now due to Arochester's FINE linky!!!

woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

as an aside for those with eyes to see....it may take a LONG time for the term "buffering" to change to the title of a song.

woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

community radio

To the mods, I saved you the trouble an made a new thread! Again, if you wish to remove it feel free!
                      woodsmoke

sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                      X