X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to clean up system after upgrade

Hi,
    I recently upgraded from intrepid to jaunty, but the way I did it was maybe not the best.

I simply changed all the intrepids to jaunties (in sources.list) and ran apt-get update/upgrade.
    I'm not sure how to do it properly.
    The reason for this is that at the time I did that, my system completely crashed with something that I believe is a Kernel-Problem (google...) and I was limited to the consol; the error I got on startup was

iwl3945_enqueue_hcmd failed:-28
    iwl3945: No space for Tx

(no guarantee for spelling, I copied it off the screen by hand...)
    The upgrade fixed the problem. (And caused another one with my ATI card, but that's a different story...)
    Maybe all this somehow messed up my system?
    It seems to have left a lot of "dead weight" on my kubuntu partition... it's suddenly dangerously full... 500MB left, although I have 15Gig on my system partition (I only have 90Gig total, it's a laptop).

For example I have like 4 different linux-headers_x + linux-headers_x_generic's in /usr/src. Is that normal? But the biggest folder is the lib-folder...

So can anyone tell my if my method of upgrade broke anything and how to clean up my system?

Re: How to clean up system after upgrade

I simply changed all the intrepids to jaunties (in sources.list) and ran apt-get update/upgrade.
    I'm not sure how to do it properly.
    There are two upgrades (man apt-get):

upgrade

upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and installed...
    dist-upgrade

dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary. So, dist-upgrade command may remove some packages.
    If you did use the upgrade try again with the dist-upgrade but before that:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
    man apt-get
    -s, --simulate, --just-print, --dry-run, --recon, --no-act
    No action; perform a simulation of events that would occur but do not actually change the system.

The Kubuntu developers/maintainers are recommending > Kubuntu 9.04 Final >> Jaunty Upgrades Kubuntu

About cleaning

The linux could pile lot of stuff but there are tools to clean it.

- kleansweep, File cleaner for KDE
    - sweeper, history and temporary file cleaner for KDE 4

Note the warnings !
    Kleansweeper:
    You are running KleanSweep with root privileges. Therefore
    extreme caution is recommended as improper use may render
    your system unusable. Please keep in mind that because KleanSweep
    uses simple heuristics, all files suggested for removal should be
    manually reviewed.
    Few links for the cleaners:

> Cleaning up a Ubuntu GNU/Linux system
    > HOWTO: Cleaning local package archives
    > Privacy Cleanup 101
    > HOWTO : Cleaning old KDE thumbnails
    > HOWTO: Removing unnecessary entries from the grub menu list
    (a.k.a removing old kernel packages and rewriting new menu.lst)
    > FAQ: Free Disk Space
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: How to clean up system after upgrade

Thanks again, Rog131! Cleaning out stored packages freed up about 1.5Gig, so that's progress,
      I will look into the other cleaning options later.

I used distro-upgrade, sorry for the inaccuracy.

But as I understand (I read the man page of apt-get) I would still have to change my repos manually from intrepid to jaunty, right?
      The update manager was not available to me at that time: because of above mentioned problem I was limited to the console...

(Upgrading from live-CD GUI does not work...)

Comment

Working...
      X