Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jaunty Jackalope Performance Issues (and other niggles)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jaunty Jackalope Performance Issues (and other niggles)

Don't worry about it. Like I used to tell my Physics students, "Everything is easy once you know how."

What I actually asked you to do was:
    After you have removed the Adobe files that were in the tar file, including the libraries (*.so.*) then use the package manager to install the two files I mentioned in my previous msg:
    Install the "flashplugin-nonfree" and the "flashplugin-install" from the repository.
    Those two packages are in the "us.archive.ubuntu.com/multiverse" repository.
    Open "settings --> repositories" on Synaptic and make sure the first four check boxes are checked. Close Synaptic and then hit the reload icon. Search for "flash" and they should be there.

Let me know how it goes...
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for your patience, GreyGeek. I tend to learn by trial and error. I'm a lot better than when I started using Linux and it's been a really exciting few months.

OK, using Synaptic, I found both of the packages you referred to. Strangely, they were both installed already! I am going to go ahead and reinstall them and see what happens (trial and error, here we come)...

Now, if I have understood you correctly, Firefox should now be playing Flash content w/out npviewer.bin?

Or do I need to remove npviewer.bin? What steps do I need to take for that?

(Edit: It's still running npviewer.bin, so I'm guessing what I've done up to now hasn't been entirely successful...) :P

Comment

I had the same problems with flash/firefox sound on my laptop running Jaunty; simply deleting ".pulse" in my home folder and restarting firefox fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by fidesratioque
          Thanks for your patience, GreyGeek. I tend to learn by trial and error. I'm a lot better than when I started using Linux and it's been a really exciting few months.

OK, using Synaptic, I found both of the packages you referred to. Strangely, they were both installed already! I am going to go ahead and reinstall them and see what happens (trial and error, here we come)...

Now, if I have understood you correctly, Firefox should now be playing Flash content w/out npviewer.bin?

Or do I need to remove npviewer.bin? What steps do I need to take for that?

(Edit: It's still running npviewer.bin, so I'm guessing what I've done up to now hasn't been entirely successful...) :P
          Yes.

IF npviewer.bin is showing in Synaptic with a green box, then Synaptic sees it as being installed. Right mouse on the green box and select to remove it. If it is not showing a green box beside the name, or the name cannot be found, then Synaptic doesn't know anything about it and most likely it was among the files you installed manually. In that case, open a console and issue

locate npviewer.bin

Once you know where the file is issue

sudo dolphin

supply your account password when asked, and navigate to that location. Right click on npviewer.bin and select "delete" from the popup dialog box.

The "flashplugin-installer" package actually downloads and installs the Adobe Flashplayer when you "install" it. The "flashplugin-nonfree" is a transactional file which you can remove, if you want, after the other file successfully installs the Adobe flashplayer.

TheUFactor suggested deleting the hidden directory named ".pulse". It is hidden from the normal use of Dolphin and the console file commands because its name begins with a period. On Dolphin there is an option under the "View" menu to show hidden directories and files. Check that box and hidden files will become visible. If they are already visible it means the box was already checked. Go ahead and use Dolphin to delete that directory. It will be re-created with a default configuration the next time it is called upon. Even if you delete the ".pulse" directory go ahead and delete the npviewer.bin file. IF it is running it will slow down your machine.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks. I stayed in Terminal for everything, as I find it easier to deal with than Dolphin (I grew up on DOS and the TRS-80). What I did is below...

Now, do I need to delete both npviewer or npviewer.bin?

I also couldn't delete the .pulse directory. It said there was stuff in it. Should I delete everything in the directory and then delete the directory?

Thanks again for the help. I hope the 'activity log' below is useful.

ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ locate npviewer.bin
            /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin
            ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ cd /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/
            ekravets@HAL-9000:/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux$ dir
            libnoxshm.so libxpcom.so npviewer npviewer.bin
            ekravets@HAL-9000:/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux$ sudo rm npviewer.bin
            [sudo] password for ekravets:
            libnoxshm.so libxpcom.so npviewer
            ekravets@HAL-9000:/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux$ locate .pulse
            /home/ekravets/.pulse
            /home/ekravets/.pulse-cookie
            /home/ekravets/.pulse/74bd6f371cc8466e79b394eb4a19b80d:default-sink
            /home/ekravets/.pulse/74bd6f371cc8466e79b394eb4a19b80d:default-source
            /home/ekravets/.pulse/74bd6f371cc8466e79b394eb4a19b80d:device-volumes.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.gdbm
            /home/ekravets/.pulse/74bd6f371cc8466e79b394eb4a19b80d:runtime
            /home/ekravets/.pulse/74bd6f371cc8466e79b394eb4a19b80d:stream-volumes.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.gdbm
            /usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.pulseaudio.policy
            ekravets@HAL-9000:/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux$ cd /home/ekravets/
            ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ sudo rm .pulse
            rm: cannot remove `.pulse': Is a directory
            ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ sudo del .pulse
            sudo: del: command not found
            ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ sudo delete .pulse
            sudo: delete: command not found
            ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ sudo rmdir .pulse
            rmdir: failed to remove `.pulse': Directory not empty
            ekravets@HAL-9000:~$

Comment

Thanks. I stayed in Terminal for everything, as I find it easier to deal with than Dolphin (I grew up on DOS and the TRS-80). What I did is below...

Now, do I need to delete both npviewer or npviewer.bin?
              Yes.

I also couldn't delete the .pulse directory. It said there was stuff in it. Should I delete everything in the directory and then delete the directory?
              That would be one way, but it is a lot of work.
              sudo rm -r .pulse
              would be a quicker way.

Consult the "Humble Linux Cheat Sheet" if you want to know some often used console commands:
              http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/linuxcommands.html

Believe me when I tell you that while the console is nice, most of the stuff you need to do can be done a lot easier with Dolphin, with MUCH LESS of a chance of doing accidental damage.
              (sudo dolphin)

Thanks again for the help. I hope the 'activity log' below is useful.

ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ locate npviewer.bin
              ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ cd /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/
              libnoxshm.so libxpcom.so npviewer npviewer.bin
              "dir" is nice, but "vdir" gives a better output that is able to show more clearly, unless you understand the color code, which are files and which are directories.

ekravets@HAL-9000:/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux$ sudo rm npviewer.bin
              [sudo] password for ekravets:
              libnoxshm.so libxpcom.so npviewer
              sudo rm -r npviewer

ekravets@HAL-9000:/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux$ locate .pulse
              /home/ekravets/.pulse
              /home/ekravets/.pulse/74bd6f371cc8466e79b394eb4a19b80d:device-volumes.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.gdbm
              /home/ekravets/.pulse/74bd6f371cc8466e79b394eb4a19b80d:stream-volumes.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.gdbm
              ekravets@HAL-9000:/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux$ cd /home/ekravets/
              ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ sudo rm .pulse
              sudo rm -r .pulse

[quote]
              rm: cannot remove `.pulse': Is a directory
              ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ sudo del .pulse
              sudo: del: command not found
              ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ sudo delete .pulse
              sudo: delete: command not found
              [/quote

IIRC, "del" and "delete" are Windows DOS commands, not Linux commands.

ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ sudo rmdir .pulse
              rmdir: failed to remove `.pulse': Directory not empty
              ekravets@HAL-9000:~$
              As you've discovered, "rmdir" removes only empty directories. Use "rm -r <dirname>".

Better yet, run Dolphin from sudo and use the right mouse click popup dialog on a file or directory and select the "Delete" option to remove either a file or a directory you clicked on, empty or not.

Comment

Well, I seem to be unable to delete npviewer. I've tried to delete these files several times.

ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ locate npviewer
                /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer
                /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/noarch/npviewer

Likewise, .pulse is still there:

ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ locate .pulse
                /home/ekravets/.pulse

And to make matters worse, I get a ton of zombie processes in Firefox.

Do you think it'd be easier to just reformat the system instead of doing all this surgery?

I have my files, etc, backed up.

Comment

I'm such a wimp sometimes. I reinstalled everything, then went back and put in Flash the way you suggested.

On the plus side, my suspend to RAM problem seems to have disappeared. Do you have any idea why installations seem to be so inconsistent?

I'm grateful it's working, but why doesn't it always work? Am I doing something wrong/right by accident while installing?

Weird.

Thanks for your help. I really learned a lot-- how to deal with directories and how to not gum up my Flash installation.

I appreciate your patience. I'm sure I'll bug you with something soon. Though I'll try to keep my tinkering to a minimum.

Comment

I'm such a wimp sometimes. I reinstalled everything, then went back and put in Flash the way you suggested.
                    Considering the state of your system, how new it was, lacking any important files(?), a fresh install is as good a way as any to clean up your system!

On the plus side, my suspend to RAM problem seems to have disappeared. Do you have any idea why installations seem to be so inconsistent?
                    Considering how new you are to Linux, and how my instructions seemed to confuse you (which may have been as much a problem with my instructions as your interpretation of them) it is hard to say why your installations are inconsistant. Mother Nature is a good teacher, however. She gives the test first and the lesson afterward.

I'm grateful it's working, but why doesn't it always work? Am I doing something wrong/right by accident while installing?
                    We both are grateful. It always works when done right. A lot of folks have different backgrounds, different levels of experience, different commands of the written language, etc., and, they may have done what they thought was right, or what they thought was asked of them, but didn't. Happens all the time. Human nature.

Thanks for your help. I really learned a lot-- how to deal with directories and how to not gum up my Flash installation.

I appreciate your patience. I'm sure I'll bug you with something soon. Though I'll try to keep my tinkering to a minimum.
                    My pleasure!

Comment

The command you were looking for is
                      Code:
                      sudo rm -rf .pulse

Comment

Working...
                      X