Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox Crashes When Opening PDF (Adobe Reader Plugin)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox Crashes When Opening PDF (Adobe Reader Plugin)

When I 1st installed 9.04 I've downloaded Adobe reader
    -------
    Adobe Reader 9.1
    Linux (.bin), English
    -------

Code:
    chmod +x AdbeRdr9.1.0-1_i486linux_enu.bin && ./AdbeRdr9.1.0-1_i486linux_enu.bin
    Then when it asks for the installation directory
    Code:
    /home/xirex
    So it creates a directory there with name "Adobe" & the installation is complete.

Few days ago it used to work just fine, somehow I saw a post & followed the link
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Installing media players for Firefox I think after that the problem started.
    Now every time I open a PDF in Firefox, instead of opening Adobe reader inside Firefox, it either crashes or display a box saying
    "Could not launch Adobe Reader 9.1.0. Please make sure it exists in PATH variable in the environment. If the problem persists, please reinstall the application."

Then it crashes.

When I disabled the Adobe addon, it doesn't crash & it asks to open with "Okular", but Adobe reader is much better in rendering graphics.
    Though you can save to disk & open with Adobe reader, it's more convenient to open directly with Adobe reader for faster view within Firefox, and it shouldn't crash in the 1st place.

Funny,

I have the same problem a years after You sent this post, and noone even answered... Problems with printer, AAR, clear type fonts, power management etc.
    Thanks, I need computer for work, and it seem to me linux is far from it now. I shall buy a new Windows 7 and forget the linux world for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Romanescu View Post
      I have the same problem a years after You sent this post, and noone even answered... Problems with printer, AAR, clear type fonts, power management etc.
      Thanks, I need computer for work, and it seem to me linux is far from it now. I shall buy a new Windows 7 and forget the linux world for a few years.
      Indeed, if one doesn't work in IT it can be difficult to figure these things out. I have the same problem and it is often a tradeoff between taking the time to solve the problem or finding another solution. Unfortunately in my case, because of other conflicts, I can't afford to use closed source. It sounds like you found a workable solution for yourself though.

Comment

Thanks for reply

Originally posted by Ole Juul View Post
        Indeed, if one doesn't work in IT it can be difficult to figure these things out. I have the same problem and it is often a tradeoff between taking the time to solve the problem or finding another solution. Unfortunately in my case, because of other conflicts, I can't afford to use closed source. It sounds like you found a workable solution for yourself though.
        I agree.
        By the way, I work in IT, and I simply can't wasting my time with attepmts to play with system and trying to make it functional instead of using it.
        Kubuntu 10.x and programs for it looks to me comparable with much earlier versions of MS Windows, maybe some time later it'll be ok, but it's not now.

Comment

I have quit using Adobe Reader and have been using Okular for some time now. It displays perfectly on my computer. Have you tried it lately?

Comment

Thanks for reply

Yes I did, I was just curious about compatibility of AAR with linux world and I've got my answer now But thanks anyway

Comment

Working...
            X