Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powerdevil not recognizing that my laptop is plugged in!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powerdevil not recognizing that my laptop is plugged in!

Upgrade from 8.10.
    I plug my laptop in and the Power Management plasmoid's charging indicator doesn't show up, I get no notification that the AC adapter was plugged in and yet my battery still charges! If I click the plasmoid it says the battery is charging but that the AC adapter isn't plugged in.

The oddest thing to me is that as the battery is charging I get all of the status messages in reverse order telling me the battery is at warning level, then low, etc...

Anybody else see this after upgrade?
    Any ideas how to fix this one?

Re: Powerdevil not recognizing that my laptop is plugged in!

I was using kpowersave when I was using intrepid and that has carried over when I upgraded to Jaunty. It works well for me. You might like to install that and give it a try.

Ian

Comment

Sorry Liquidator, I just don't think that's really going to do the trick for me. It would be like saying "Well I never have this problem in Windows, maybe I should use that instead".

I haven't used Kpowersave since Powerdevil was released. I've never had a problem with it until the upgrade. Anyone else having this issue, or have any idea what I may be able to do other than using Kpowersave?

Comment

I'm afraid I don't see the connection here between using kpowersave and windows. In fact it's the opposite I think.. Linux is all about choice - I don't think you can say the same for Windows.

Powerdevil is simply the daemon that is running in the background - kpowersave is just as much an application for kde as the plasma widget is. It's been with us since KDE3, I was using it with intrepid and when I upgraded to jaunty it simply got upgraded too. I am familiar with the battery monitor widget and my personal opinion is it is limited in what it does which is why I elected to use kpowersave. I accept that for others it will meet their needs. There remains available guidance-power-manager as well. I just think its nice that we have all the choice, and that particular option works for me partly because of its functionality.

The principle here is that if the default on offer doesn't give you everything you would like, you are free to switch.

I have tested the battery monitor widget and that does show the battery to be charging so I can't say why yours isn't. It might be worth your while testing one of the other front-ends - if it works, then that ought to tell you whether the problem is with the front-end or backend.

Comment

Well I broke down and tried Kpowersave. Disabled Powerdevil, rebooted and started Kpowersave. Kpowersave says that the battery is charging all of the time but that the adapter is not plugged in. Same results as Powerdevil. Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Found a thread on the KDE forums - http://forum.kde.org/powerdevil-does...r-t-30878.html

According to this thread it's an issue with the distro itself. I've also noticed since this started happening my battery life has been horrible, I assume because power management isn't working the way it should. I still need a solution.

Comment

Anybody? Please? I'm at the point I'm fine using whatever power-management may work, up to and including Gnome-based.

Comment

Originally posted by Nos4ah2
                Anybody? Please? I'm at the point I'm fine using whatever power-management may work, up to and including Gnome-based.
                The is a plasmoid applet called "Battery Monitor". Have you tried it? It also gives access to the sleep and hybernate commands.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Following a recent update, kpowersave stopped running at boot so I uninstalled it and used the plasma power widget. It has now developed into something rather decent and works pretty well.

Comment

Does that work independently of Powerdevil? I thought Powerdevil was made the default in Jaunty? I already used the battery monitor plasmoid and Powerdevil for power management. The battery monitor plasmoid is not showing the lighting bolt on the icon usually indicating the adapter is plugged in either.

Comment

Bump.

Still having this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Frankly I cannot understand what is happening here. However, to clarify, powerdevil is the low level application that the OS uses to communicate with the system that posts the periodic messages that you have been plugged in/unplugged.

kpowersave/guidance power manager and the plasma widget are guis through which you can view and control certain power management functions. I'm not sure the two are related.

Re-reading the thread I note that you have upgraded from 8.10. How did you upgrade? I personally have noted that when you upgrade certain things (some good, some not so good) remain. It may be that your system config has been carried forward.

If you download a live 9.04 CD you will get a chance to see if things are different. If they are you can do a clean install but still keep your user configs so long as you have a separate home partition. Other than that I'm stumped I'm afraid.

Ian

Comment

Thanks! I've got a livecd I just burned the other day, so I'll give that a shot. I'm wondering if it's something in my configuration.

Comment

So I tried the livecd, to no avail. Strangely enough I still had the same issues.

After a lot of scouring the net, I found someone on the Sabayon Linux forums having the same problem, and he has the same laptop! I read the solution he proposed, but it's just a bit over my head. Apparently it's a problem with the DSDT. Here's the thread: http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewto...p?f=56&t=15873

Could anyone please explain to me how to add the AC adapter as a module as he proposed? This issue is really killing me.

Comment

Hi!

I have the same problem after upgrading from kubuntu 8.10 x86_64 to kubuntu 9.04. The AC-adapter is not recognized and the computer is alway in power-save. Also, my Intel WLAN 5300 was working in kubuntu 8.10 and is not in kubuntu 9.04.

The same goes for a gentoo-installation on the same machine, AC and WLAN does not work.

Strange thing is that if I boot on a Kubuntu 8.10 live-CD or a OpenSolaris 9.06 live-CD everything (AC-adapter and WLAN) is working.

As I write this I have made a test on Ubuntu 9.04 x86 liveCD and in this case it seems to work properly. This actually makes me wounder a bit. Both AC-adapter and wireless network is working.

Comment

Working...
                              X