This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature request: Comical 0.8 in repo

So, I'm not familiar with the asking for things policy around here, but I couldn't find a sub-board for this. Here goes:

In my spare time, I read comic books from the internet in order to maintain my sanity. The most common method of archiving these comic book images is to dump a load of Jpegs in a zip or rar file and pushing it out where I can save it on my HDD and view it any time I want. Comical (comical.sourceforge) lets me point at the archive and read the comic book as if I had it in my lap, two pages at a time, etc..

I know the project hasnt been update for a few years, but it was the thing I really missed when I switched over from fedora (FC4). It's also a bit difficult to get working on any given version of *buntu, due to it's oldness. I'm not a programmer, and the packages it depends on have evolved while it has not, and it's gotten to the point where I **cannot** meet the compilation dependencies no matter what I try. (at least, not without spending 10 hours compiling things, and we network engineers are strapped to our routers and switches 25/8. I think our network has a protocol running that determines when I am most busy and then fails. Dynamic Anger Multiplying Network, or something like that.)

So my choices were: A, maintain a legacy system that can watch my comic books; B, migrate to a distro that has it; or C, ask for the package to be put in the repo.

There are a couple of good security reasons not to do A, various professional reasons not to do B*, and that left C.

Pretty please?

*(Imagine being asked by the IT oversight board at my job why I'm pushing a product for the enterprise that I wont use personally. In public sector, that leads to corruption charges and arrests...)

Edited, capitalization and spelling. You know it's bad when my first instinct was to make fun of myself... :P

Re: Feature request: Comical 0.8 in repo

Package request

> UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages
    Requesting a new package for Ubuntu

To get a package into Ubuntu, please file a bug in Launchpad and make sure it has the tag needs-packaging. Please mention where to get the source for it and which license it is under. An example request is here. Make sure you check which packages have already been requested. Packages that have recently been added to Debian unstable will be automatically synced into Ubuntu prior to the Debian Import Freeze (DIF). After the Debian Import Freeze, you will have to file a bug with the summary field "Please sync <packagename> from debian <distro>" where <packagename> is the package you would like to see. Debian Import Freeze /1/ for jaunty is on December 25, 2008...

Wishlist

> Bug #153916: [needs-packaging] comical

DIY

> HowTo: Install Comical - Ubuntu Forums

At the moment Ubuntu forums tells:
    503 Service Temporarily Unavailable
    but the Google cache tells:

HowTo: Install Comical
    So for everyone who's having some SERIOUS issues either A) finding a Comical .deb that works (I sure couldn't-- all the links seem to be down or B) making Comical compile from source, this is my attempt at assisting those who went through the same silliness I did.

According to the Comical website, Comical is an easy-to-use, featureful GUI comic book viewer, written in C++ using wxWidgets.

It's also my personal favorite; sure, there are easy alternatives available in the software channel like QComicBook (A KDE app which, in gnome, is extremely buggy) as well as Comix, but I just like Comical, and I couldn't make it install for many many hours. Finally, I've got it.

I could not make version .8 compile no matter what. So, if you want this program, you have to go with the .7 version available...

/1/ > Debian Import Freeze
    Prior to this date, new versions of packages will be automatically imported from Debian unstable where they have not been customized for Ubuntu, that is when the version number of the package in the current Ubuntu development branch does not contain the substring "ubuntu" and there is a newer version in Debian. Entirely new packages (those not in Ubuntu at all) are also automatically imported prior to this date. The import is done by copying the source package verbatim from Debian and building fresh binary packages on the Ubuntu autobuilders.

By this date, all packages that have been modified by both Debian and Ubuntu since the last merge should have been merged at least once in the current release cycle.

After this date, packages will only be imported from Debian in this way by explicit request from a developer. (If the package needs to be modified for Ubuntu, or is not in Debian, then a developer can of course also upload it directly.)
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
    X