This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac Mini G4 (first version)

Hi all, I'm new to KDE and recently decided to try Kubuntu out on my old Mac Mini. Upgraded to 1G RAM and installation was relatively painless, even xorg worked for the ATI chip after a little manual configuration. I'm very happy with nearly everything, new life for old but still very capable machine!

For years my Mini sat headless as a file server sleeping until I sent it a WOL packet. It still needs to do that but I now also want to connect it to my TV for occasional arm-chair surfing and media playing (tested ok on TV long time ago (OSX)). There are still a few things I need to check and a few problems solving so any help with the following would be appreciated...

- HD management: the mini has a laptop drive. Is it safe to assume it is managed well, ie, load cycle count kept to a minimum, or do I need to install laptop-mode-tools and start monitoring things?

- Power Saving: In system settings it doesn't look like cpu scaling is enabled for the G4. Kernel problem? I'm not a kernel hacker.

- Sleep/ Suspend-to-RAM: tried many things but no luck so far. PBButtonsd complains about unsupported PMU version 85. Johannes Berg helped me a bit, discovering the kernel is configured for suspend but 'mem' does not show up in /sys/power/state. Other utils complain about missing (acpi?) device. From various posts/ml's it seems previous kernels worked fine.

- Some odd graphics corruption occurs but is infrequent and easily solved by min/max'ing the effected window. However on several programs, eg Firefox, the menu's and toolbars are black with the odd icon or text showing. Nothing seems to cure this.

- Is there a KDE config for setting display depth? I hope to use 1024x768 at 32bit on the TV although I am not sure if the integrated ATI chip supports this.

There must be other owners of G4 Mac Mini's out there so please post your experiences. Thanks.
Working...
X