X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost my KDE4 desktop

Hello,

I am running Kubuntu Jaunty 64bit and pretty much everything works well except when it doesn't and the screen freezes and I am forced to reboot. I recently installed Galeon browser, Bluefish web editor, Quanta web editor. I was working on a new web page in Bluefish and reviewing same in both Konqueror and Galeon. In Dolphin I wanted to open the web page using Kate and the screen froze.

Reboot.

However, I got an error message> something about the OAFIID: Gnome_FastUserSwitchApplet and did I want to delete or not. I chose not. Upon reboot I got the same message. This time I chose to delete. Upon reboot I am in some basic Desktop whatever that uses the Ubuntu Icon in the top panel and there is a bottom panel just like Ubuntu's.

I am in Konqueror preparing this request for help.

Suggestions on how I can recover my KDE4 desktop? Thanks.

Re: Lost my KDE4 desktop

It is hard to tell, from the information we have. More details would help.

In the meantime:you seem to be in a basic gnome desktop, did you configure autologin?

If you have a wired network, I would reboot in rescue mode, and choose the "netroot" option. On the console, do this:

sudo apt-get install kdm
    sudo apt-get remove gdm
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Then reboot, and see if it works. Please take careful notes in case things don't work and you need more help. In that case, you need to tell us as much, and as literally as you can.

Best luck!

Comment

Thanks, Iilano!

Tried a couple of the suggestions you offered.
      also read another post (KDE 4.1 -> 4.2 upgrade broke my window manager (read 3015 times)). Got nowhere.

Finally decided to reinstall. Learning more each time

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

Comment

My pleasure, sorry it didn't work. Soon enough you'll be able to recover from these things. I only do clean/new builds for new hardware, other than that the same computer can simply keep upgrading to the new distro for many years ...

Hope it goes better this time Keep an eye open when a software installation triggers some uninstalls (we've all been there :P)

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X