X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD 64 (Athlon) kernal update

Hello,

Using 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Just asking this out of curiosity. Come back to base after a few weeks away and on boot up the updater says there are 70ish updates. Fine, do the business but there are 4 updates with big red X's against them. They are all kernel updates specifically for AMD 64. Why the red X's? Is my processor now out of date? Not worried have just left them "undealt with" as system working fine but if anyone has a moment to fill me in it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Roy

Re: AMD 64 (Athlon) kernal update

Hi Roy, could you please send us a screenshot? That would help
    [Alt][F2]ksnapshot

Comment

Originally posted by theread

They are all kernel updates specifically for AMD 64. Why the red X's?
      There was some sort of a "false start" with a 64-bit kernel update, a couple of weeks ago, or so. It looked like there was going to be a 2.6.28-12 kernel, but it never came. Kernel 2.6.28-13 came out subsequently. I remember there were "hung" -12 kernel modules/headers for a few days. Probably that is what is going on, since you didn't update for some time.

Comment

Yeah, I am running 2.6.28.13 happily in 64 bit (and it installed side by side with 2.6.28.12). Kernels are always kept, except if they have the same number, like different package version of the 2.6.28.12 release.

Comment

Kernel 2.6.28-13 is running very trouble-free for me. I never saw the opportunity to install 2.6.28-12 -- the kernel image itself never appeared in the Updater or the package list. I took -13 when it was first available, and have been running it since then. I still have the -11 kernel but only "in case" of problems that I haven't seen yet.

Comment

Yeah, I always keep the two most recent around myself ...

Comment

I also seem to get 4 blocked kernel updates , i am on Intel Core 2 Quad, 64bit.

Comment

Huh -- I opened synaptic and looked, and you are correct, there is a kernel 2.6.28-14 available. I am going to install it, along with the headers package.

EDIT: OK, installed 2.6.28-14, and the linux-headers and build-essential packages, and rebooted, installed my nVidia driver, and started X -- it all seems to hang together just fine. So, I'd say get out of X and try these (assuming you use the -generic kernel):
                Code:
                sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.28-14-generic
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential
                Code:
                sudo shutdown -r now
                And it should come back up with the new kernel available on top of the menu.

Comment

Good to know it works 8)

Generally speaking folks, if some upgrades are blocked it may be to prevent a potential conflict, and most likely future updates of other packages will unblock the particular upgrade

Comment

I updated the Kernel 2.6.28-15 but had a too much trouble with Flash. Regardless of how many times I tried reinstalling flash, the player would only play for about 15 seconds and stop. After a couple days I went back to Kernel 2.6.28-14 and now the flash player works again.

Comment

Working...
                    X