This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Adding 64 bit repositories?

(Update: the short unswer is that when you add a 64 bit repositoty you don't specify the architecture, in this case amd64, explicitly -- see below for details)

Hi folks

I am only 24 hours into the 64 bit experience, so sorry if this is a silly question. I am trying to watch my dvd's, stored in iso files. This works great with vlc in 64 bit. But VLC is crashing when opening a dvd in 64 bits. I am thinking that maybe there is a problem with the repository I am using.

I have every repository that the fresh install configures, and then I added Medibuntu. I am wondering if I screwed up there. I just went to the medibuntu site and used the generic instructions:

Code:
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/`lsb_release -cs`.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list; sudo apt-get -q update; sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring; sudo apt-get -q update
    I wonder if I did something silly? Do you need to specify that ou want the 64 bit arch packages when you add a repository? Or is this taken care of for you transparently? Any help would be appreciated.

In the meantime, I have a 32 bit parallel install in another partition, so i can tweak things until i am happy and then switch to 64 bit for performance :-)

Libdvdcss2 is installed, so dvd's should play in vlc.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Adding 64 bit repositories?

Forget about "64-bits". Your package manager will synchronize with the repositories and all you will see are the packages compiled for your 64-bit architecture -- no user intervention is necessary.

If you followed the instructions here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

then you should be fine. If you didn't -- go back and follow all the steps, one at a time.

Comment

Thank you dibl! No time no see, you are amazing really!

That's a nice thread, I didn't follow that -- it should be enough to install kubuntu-restricted, but I'll try that too. In the end, I rest assured that I don't need to input the architecture explicitly, thanks a lot for the info.

By the way, I built a Phenom X3 8650 system, overclocked a bit, this thing flies! And considerably better in 64 bit for what I tested from the live CD (comparing 64 vs 32 live CD and several tets from the Phoronix Test Suite).

Cheers!

Comment

Mmm. I followed the advice in that thread and vlc is still not running dvd's in 64 bit! I'll start a new thread about that.

Comment

Working...
        X