Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

64-bit Flash 10 for Linux - anyone tried it under Kubuntu 9.04 64-bit?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64-bit Flash 10 for Linux - anyone tried it under Kubuntu 9.04 64-bit?

As recently as last year, there was a problem with using certain browser extensions, specifically Flash, because they weren't supplied in a 64-bit version for Linux.

Since then, Adobe has released a beta of a 64-bit version of Flash 10. Has anyone tried it? What was your experience?

I'm ready to install 9.04, but haven't decided between the 32- and 64-bit versions. I'm leaning toward the 32-bit version because the benefits of the 64-bit version aren't clear. I only have 4 GB of RAM in my system, so I'm not sure there's any point in going with the 64-bit version. I don't want to again have the problem of there being no 64-bit version of an application I want to use.

Re: 64-bit Flash 10 for Linux - anyone tried it under Kubuntu 9.04 64-bit?

I have a 64-bit install of jaunty and it is working fine - I'm not aware of any 64bit-related problems.

Even Flash is working now! But that is fairly new, as far as I know.

I used this guide for general multimedia set up:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Just follow the instructions.
    To set up Flash I had to google a bit and found this install script:

http://www.myscienceisbetter.info/20...-on-linux.html

It works and as far as I can tell, it does not do anything harmful.

Now everything multimedia related, including Flash, is working perfectly!

Hope that helps,
    Chopstick

Comment

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

I've also used the Medibuntu repository (homepage http://www.medibuntu.org/) on previous Kubuntu installs to get all the multimedia stuff sorted.

Next thing is to figure out how to get Kubuntu 9.04 to install itself onto my firmware RAID.

Comment

I have not experienced any of the alleged problems resulting from the flash version from Medibuntu (32-bit in nspluginwrapper). Upon reflection, having a perfectly functioning system including Firefox and flash, I think I'll leave it as-is.

Comment

Originally posted by Objekt
          As recently as last year, there was a problem with using certain browser extensions, specifically Flash, because they weren't supplied in a 64-bit version for Linux.
          Since then, Adobe has released a beta of a 64-bit version of Flash 10. Has anyone tried it? What was your experience?
          I'm ready to install 9.04, but haven't decided between the 32- and 64-bit versions. I'm leaning toward the 32-bit version because the benefits of the 64-bit version aren't clear. I only have 4 GB of RAM in my system, so I'm not sure there's any point in going with the 64-bit version. I don't want to again have the problem of there being no 64-bit version of an application I want to use.
          I've been using 64bit Kubuntu since Kubuntu 7.10, as far as I know there's absolutely no issue if you only use softwares in ubuntu repository (i.e. no third-party programs), since all softwares in ubuntu repository have 64-bit version.

The Adobe version of 64-bit flash works great for me, it correctly renders some flash which cannot be correctly rendered by the 32-bit flash with nspluginwrapper. So if you really need flash, you are "strongly recommended" to use the adobe version of 64-bit flash.

The benefits of the 64-bit version, is like the benefits to recompile your whole system with the new cpu instructions. Kubuntu 64-bit versions are compiled with SSE support and all 686-related cpu instruction enhancements, which reduce the average instruction counts by 10%, (hence the 10% average performance boost).

Anyway, most people will not notice the performance difference between 64bit and 32bit.

Comment

Actually, the benefits of 64 bits are not only that, but also the larger "pipeline" (64 bit registers). Some low level code that moves bits around makes use of this, and get a huge performance boost. Some doesn't. In average, the system is faster.

Back to the topic: flash 64 bit works fine here, but full-screen mode doesn't take over the whole screen with video. It shows a mid-size video padded in black all around. This doesn't happen with the 32 bit version. Does any of you have this issue? Maybe there is something miss-configured here?

Comment

Running in a browser (youtube, etc.) on my 1600x1200 display (Samsung CRT), it looks like a bit less than a quarter of the screen is the flash video. I think this is probably more a function of the graphics system and driver, than the flash plugin, but I'm not the expert to know for sure.

I right-clicked on the flash video, chose "settings", and it crashes every time. I guess it doesn't want me to play with the size of the video!

Comment

Mmm. It doesn't crash here on settings. I have it set to use hardware acceleration ...

Comment

Working...
                X