Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu - Dolphin - Samba - Slow at times?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu - Dolphin - Samba - Slow at times?

What's up everyone? Long time Gnome user here recently turned KDE fan. Running Kubuntu 9.04 64 bit with KDE 4.3.2. I have a Samba file server on my main rig (also Jaunty with KDE 4.3.2). When I connect to it wirelessly on my laptop through Dolphin, I can browse around just fine, but it seems whenever I get really click happy, it'll lock up for 15-20 seconds at a time.

I tried duplicating this on my spare desktop, ALSO running Jaunty with KDE 4.3.2. I didn't notice it happening as often there, but I was still able to duplicate the problem.

What's the overall opinion of KDE when using Samba? Should I be using Konquerer as my primary means of browsing Samba shares? Or should I use Dolphin or what?

Just looking for some advice here. Not sure if the lagging is a bug or what but my two systems are very different in hardware and it happens on both of them. *shrug*

Re: Kubuntu - Dolphin - Samba - Slow at times?

if i am not mistaken, just does that some times. samba is just slow, my samba server (running on an ubuntu server box) does the same thing but not only with linux clients. from what i remember XP did the same thing, if you have all linux boxes you might want to consider using NFS for your shares.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Really? I don't have all Linux boxes. You see, I set up Samba and bought a big fat hard drive to throw in my computer so the XP users in the household (using 3rd party software) could sync their stuff to my server under their own password protected shares. Off topic for a moment - I HIGHLY recommend that. In 1 year I have had to recover 3 system crashes (my one brother doesn't have the best of luck) and having all of his data backed up was a blessing.

Anyway, so then I just added my own share so I could access it from my old iBook laptop or my KDE work laptop.

I'll have to try Gnome on my laptop and see how it does. I don't recall Nautilus ever doing that, but I also don't recall ever clicking around as much as I did to get Dolphin to lock up for a second.

It does seem as if it's Samba related because I cannot get Dolphin to lock up at all on the local machine. It's only over the shares.

Comment

there are also quite a bit of tweaks that can be applyed to your samba server. that should prevent lock up more, to be a bit more accurate my shares don't lock up they stutter for a second or two(and i consider that normal for a network, since its rare and under heavy load).

Comment

I don't know what tweaks I could do to my samba server to make it more efficient. I mean, it's been in place for quite a long time and I never had any issues with it before. To be fair, I never intentionally tried to lock it up like I was doing with Dolphin. I discovered this problem on accident, but like I said, I can duplicate it if I sit there and highlight everything and go click happy like crazy for a while.

It happened at work as well, which is a full blown windows network. The funny thing is, I have a kubuntu desktop at home as well as a different kubuntu desktop at work. Both desktops are fine, so maybe it's something with my laptop in particular since it did it in both locations.

I don't know. It's very rare, and for it to happen has to be almost intentional. I didn't have this happen in Nautilus but I don't recall trying this either.

What tweaks do you suggest?

BTW have you checked out SMB4k? I checked it out earlier but I'm not sure if it's really that much easier than using Dolphin. I'm not sure what to think of it. Have you used it to vouch an opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by Roasted
            It happened at work as well, which is a full blown windows network. The funny thing is, I have a kubuntu desktop at home as well as a different kubuntu desktop at work. Both desktops are fine, so maybe it's something with my laptop in particular since it did it in both locations.
            i have noticed slowness in all windows samba networks, i think its just the way samba is, in windows
            explorer seams to lock up when ever you browse a network (as in "network places")
            What tweaks do you suggest?
            if running the samba server on a linux machine you can add some options to your smb.conf, that are susposta make samba more responcive when hosted from a linux box. the one below is one that i use
            [code=/ect/samba/smb.conf]
            socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
            [/code]
            BTW have you checked out SMB4k?
            i have not , i only have samba for my ps2 and friends that come over w/ windows laptops, so i have had no need to fiddle with it yet

Comment

It's weird, today I was hitting the Windows server at work and it was blazing fast. I'm not too sure what to think, but I guess being that it's in a school district with about 2500 users, maybe it's safe to say it was just network load at the time.

I can't really get the problem to duplicate itself again. I even had my mouse upside down and rolled it on the scroll wheel up and down the table, and even still it wouldn't lock up again.

I also directly tested the speed of Nautilus vs Dolphin with Samba, and they both were within a milisecond of each other. So I guess network activity really plays a key role in the situation. Granted, I didn't have much activity on my network at the time, but who knows what was going on in my system. I had a couple virtual machines going and maybe a scheduled backup kicked in at the time and I wasn't aware, I'm just not sure.

But like I said, I can't really get it to duplicate itself, so I can't really blame Dolphin or KDE or anything like that at all. So I'm just gonna keep rockin out with it. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
              X