This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not connecting through wireless.

Okay. . . So, I got the wireless card working by taking the computer to another room and downloading the driver via ethernet connection. then, after some cajoling, the card connected to the wifi router. It is connected.

There it is.

I can see that it says that it is connected; it even is telling me the signal strength and that the router is connected to the internet.

So, why the heck won't Konqeror or any other web program recognize that my computer is connected?? I plugged in the ethernet, and they saw it immediately. But now, they don't think the computer's connected even though the network manager says that it's getting along fine with the wifi router and that the router is fully connected to the web.

What gives? Been trying for a good three hours to figure this one out, to no avail.
    If you think that by threatening me you can get me to do what you want... Well, that's where you're right. But - and I am only saying that because I care - there's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Re: Not connecting through wireless.

This is typically a driver issue. What's the wifi card? Have you tried enabling it the card in Hardware Drivers?

Can you try a Karmic liveCD?

Comment

That's my point. I did activate the driver for the Broadcom. . . I think it said BW23 or something. The Network manager in KDE4 not only sees the card, but is connected to the network. But, none of the internet/networking software will connect to the internet. They did when the cable was plugged in, but not with the wireless. Even though the wireless is most definitely connected.

That is what's throwing me off. . . *sigh* Computers. . . If it isn't one thing it's another.

The cable is in my sis' room, BTW, and hauling the desktop computer back an forth and leaving it in there are not options and I don't have the cash to run extra coax and/or ethernet to that side of the house.
      If you think that by threatening me you can get me to do what you want... Well, that's where you're right. But - and I am only saying that because I care - there's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Comment

Is this Jaunty? I would most definitely try Karmic from a liveCD if at all possible. Also, you may want to try wicd instead of networkmanager in Jaunty. Some times one of them works better than the other ...

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
          Also, you may want to try wicd instead of networkmanager in Jaunty. Some times one of them works better than the other ...
          How do I do that?

I went to System Settings --> Advanced --> Hardware(the only place I could find Wicd) and selected Wicd in the Network Management Backend and moved it to the top. And still, Konqorer will not connect to the web, nor will any other web-based app. Network Manager refuses to be replaced and says that my computer is connected; but the stinkin apps just don't see it. >

What am I doing wrong?

And, I do not have access to Karmic at this time; live or otherwise.

Comment

AH, you need to bother your Sis again, get a LAN connection, and install it with the package manager, which will uninstall KNetworkManager. Then reboot and see if it helps ...

Comment

Working...
            X