This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help finding shared folder on client machine

On the host machine, I have NFS and SAMBA ticked off (I have appropriate kde and nfs and samba packages installed)

Right clicked folder I want to share from home directory, Properties, Share, Configure File Sharing, Enable Local Network File Share, Simple Sharing,and I added folder in the dialog below and have both NFS and Samba enabled.

The host IS NOT firewalled.

How do I find this shared folder in Dolphin (or any other way, I am comfortable editing config files like fstab) on my client ? I click network in the side pane of Dolphin and there are three icons, and I see the host machine, but when I click it, (Mac address is all zeroes so perhaps there is an issue there), I get "hostname" machine not found.

I think I am 90% there...

Or is there a better option for a simple share for one folder that does not have sensitive data (it is music). I Just want it seen on my other [Kubuntu/Ubuntu] linux laptops in the house.

Re: need help finding shared folder on client machine

I did this before with Samba and it worked out of the box for me (KDE4 to KDE3), but I didn't get good performance for music playback. Then I switched to NFS, and it is working ok, but I did it manually. I have an icon on the clients to mount the nfs folder. After it is mounted, any user can play music or movies from the shared folder.

I can check at home in the evenings or over the weekend. Please bug me every once in a while and I'll help (unless of course you solve it yourself before that).

Cheers!

Comment

In the meantime, my configuration was based on this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

There is a shorter version here:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/nfs-server...in-ubuntu.html

I would assume that the server part is handled (hopefully) by KDE, but you can check if it updated the relevant files, notably

/etc/exports

Comment

I have my own different approach to these things, but maybe it could help you a little. The following advice is for SAMBA and commands are to be entered in a Konsole window. I will make these assumptions:
        • Both computers are on the same IP network and can ping each other by IP address.
        • Both computers are in the same workgroup
        • Appropriate SAMBA software is correctly configured on both machines

To search for a computer with SAMBA shares on the network, I use the smbtree -S command:

Code:
        $ smbtree -S
        Password: [press the Enter key here]
        MYWORKGROUP
            \\MYSERVER             MYSERVER server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        To list the shares available on the server, I use the smbclient -L command:

Code:
        $ smbclient -L MYSERVER
        Password: [press the Enter key here]
        Anonymous login successful
        Domain=[MYWORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28a]

Sharename    Type   Comment
            ---------    ----   -------
            print$     Disk   Printer Drivers
            SHARE1     Disk
            SHARE2     Disk
            SHARE3     Disk
            SHARE4     Disk
            IPC$      IPC    IPC Service (Alia server (Samba, Ubuntu))
            PDF       Printer  PDF
        Anonymous login successful
        Domain=[MYWORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28a]

Server        Comment
            ---------      -------
            MYSERVER       MYSERVER server (Samba, Ubuntu)

Workgroup      Master
            ---------      -------
            MYWORKGROUP     MYSERVER
        About the SAMBA password prompt: Whether or not you must enter a password depends on your SAMBA configuration in /etc/samba/smb.conf. The file sharing configuration on the host with the shared files influences everything.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
        X