This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell d620 laptop help

I just installed kubuntu 9.04 couple of days ago, but I can never get a wireless signal for my laptop. Everything is enabled and the hardware is Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN MiniCard. And How am I suppose to install the driver if its not supported.

Re: Dell d620 laptop help

Originally posted by jizzkid
    I just installed kubuntu 9.04 couple of days ago, but I can never get a wireless signal for my laptop. Everything is enabled and the hardware is Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN MiniCard. And How am I suppose to install the driver if its not supported.
    do you have net on the lappey............thrue a hardwire conection?

I ask becose you may nead to post the output of severall comands to get this worked out.

O and make shure it dosent have a switch to turn it on and off. 2 of mine do and having the switch off once had me in fits for a few minuts.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You may also want to try switching from the default Network Manager plasmoid to wicd.

Code:
      sudo aptitude install wicd
      I had a lot of issues with Network Manager and it all disappeared when I switched to wicd. Obviously you will need to hard wire to the net to try this.
      Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

You should be able to get things worked out. Before I retired the last PC I was given was a Dell Latitude D620. I dual booted with it and did all of my Qt development work on the Linux side, which was running PCLinuxOS 2007 at the time. Admittedly, I was connected to the Internet through a proxy on our LAN, but if you can download the wicd deb package onto a USB stick and then copy it to the D620 using sudo "dpkg -i packagename" should get it installed. From the machine you download it to, be sure to do a simulate install of wicd and make sure you download all the dependencies too. "sudo apt-get install --simulate wicd"
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X