This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to connect two Jaunty computers for file sharing

I want to do something very simple, and after an hour of searching I can find nothing related to accomplishing this task.

I have a desktop and a laptop. Both are dual boot Jaunty 9.04 / WinXP boxes. I'm only interested in the Jaunty OSs. I want to connect one to the other via an ethernet cable, and move files around, basically copying from the remote to the local.

Surely there's a simple way to do this that doesn't involve addition hardware or some crazy CLI stuff that looks like I'm setting up for a moon launch...I hope.

Can anyone help me out - or point me to a tutorial, or....anything?

Thanks for any help offered.

Tom

Re: how to connect two Jaunty computer for file sharing

Both are Jaunty PCs. System Settings > Sharing
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Maybe help here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106487.0

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Both are Jaunty PCs. System Settings > Sharing
        I really don't get it. This isn't enough. I provide a username and password, click 'apply'...then...nothing. What's the point? Exploring what's visible in Dolphin reveals nothing new at all. The side panel shows no new "places". The network "place" is still utter garble to me. I need some more detailed instructions, which I cannot seem to find.

I have this so far:

1. connect the two computers with and ethernet cable.
        2. provide username and password to System Settings > Sharing.

Then...?

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I've not done this before, and most of the terms I keep encountering are new to me. (and most of what I can find to read seems utterly irrelevant, when it's not incomprehensible) I can do this easily with WinXP, but here most of the signposts seem to be missing.

Can you point me to the next step?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          'Cross-over cables' Serial ports "NIC"s (huh) Moon launch stuff. This simply CANNOT be a serial port operation. My laptop has no such thing, for one thing.

I have an ethernet cable which connects both computers. What I don't have is knowledge of the software part of the connection. Nothing I can find seems to relate to my simple problem. I must be missing something...

Comment

Re: how to connect two Jaunty computers for file sharing

From the link dibl provided:
            Originally posted by GreyGeek
            Laptop:
            The easiest way is to put them on the same router (wireless or otherwise) and then use Systemsettings-->Sharing.
            So are your PCs connected to a router? We have all assumed (yeah, I know what that means ) this to be so, as you are dealing with multiple PCs, and these days, most who do use a router. Sorry if this assumption is incorrect.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

A bit of a moon landing but once setup it's great.

http://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/network/nfshowto/

both boxes must be on a router and have IP's ..........you can not even in windows just plug a cat5 from NIC to NIC and have it work............it can but the cat5 has to be made as a crosover cable...and a lot more setup.

if your allreadey on a router the sugjeshtons you'v allreadey got should work.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                From the link dibl provided:
                Originally posted by GreyGeek
                Laptop:
                The easiest way is to put them on the same router (wireless or otherwise) and then use Systemsettings-->Sharing.
                So are your PCs connected to a router? We have all assumed (yeah, I know what that means ) this to be so, as you are dealing with multiple PCs, and these days, most who do use a router. Sorry if this assumption is incorrect.
                Man, communication between two people isn't any easier than two computers. How much plainer can I be?

Desktop + ethernet cable + laptop.

Nothing more. As I said, with WinXP this is easy. (With no added equipment.) Routers are for sharing a server or ISP or whatever, I think. I have on a slight idea what a router even is...and I don't want to know. I retain a fervent faith that what I have is enough (see above). I cannot see why it wouldn't be. Except, I don't know how to get it to work...

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                  A bit of a moon landing but once setup it's great.

http://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/network/nfshowto/

both boxes must be on a router and have IP's ..........you can not even in windows just plug a cat5 from NIC to NIC and have it work............it can but the cat5 has to be made as a crosover cable...and a lot more setup.

if your allreadey on a router the sugjeshtons you'v allreadey got should work.

VINNY
                  OK, I understand crossover cables. Got one. Just not useful, as have no serial port. Looks like I need to acquire a router. Grrrrr. Not happy. But, hey, it's not a hard drive crash!

Comment

Actually it is possible to make an ethernet crossover cable. I know because I used one to turn a Windows 2000 machine into a makeshift router. Such a cable acts pretty much the same as a passive hub with only two ports. It makes for a very small network with only two hosts.

If you must connect the two PCs using ethernet without buying a hub, switch, or router, then your only option is to make or buy an ethernet crossover cable. You can also buy adapters to turn a standard ethernet cable into a crossover ethernet cable.

Having said that, the easiest thing to do is to purchase a cheap hub, switch, or router and connect both PCs to it with regular ethernet cables.

Here are some articles you may find helpful:
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
                    http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm
                    http://www.conniq.com/WinXPNetworkin...connection.htm (Talks about Windows, but the hardware and networking concepts are the same.)
                    http://google.com/search?q=ethernet+crossover+cable
                    Welcome newbies!
                    Verify the ISO
                    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Thank you. This appears to be what I didn't know, but needed to! Will check into a cheap solution tomorrow. I see a solution in sight....

t.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd
                        Thank you. This appears to be what I didn't know, but needed to! Will check into a cheap solution tomorrow. I see a solution in sight....

t.
                        You are welcome.

Don't forget that you will need to ensure that both ethernet cards are assigned addresses on the same network, and that they must use common protocols. Assuming you will be doing TCP/IP networking (the most common kind on small ethernet networks), you may have to assign IP addresses and network masks by hand.
                        Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Well, I'm in trouble already.

1. Assigning addresses? Where do I get them? Is it obvious where I put them?

2. Network masks? Never heard of this.

I'd go looking for material on this, but I already have. I'm many hours into this, and it's been remarkably fruitless. I don't know basic terms, and also don't know where to learn them. Most of what I find seems useless to me. Do you know of any decent general introduction to simple networking (online - I need it now)?

Comment

The first thing to do is to plug in both of the computers and see if they can ping each other. Again, I am assuming you are doing TCP/IP networking (the most common kind on small ethernet networks.)

If the computers can ping each other, then you are ready to move on to the high level protocols you are already used to (eg Samba).

If the computers can not ping each other, then you need to check the IP configuration of each computer. On Kubuntu, I use the ifconfig command to view IP configuration information.

Everything I know about networking was learned in college and by reading. Unfortunately there is no way I can condense two years or so of college classes into a simple post. There are probably thousands of sites dedicated to networking, ranging from specialized to technical to basic. Google and Wikipedia are great places to start looking up unfamiliar terms.
                            Welcome newbies!
                            Verify the ISO
                            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

OK - that sounds feasible. Will dive into Wikip., which likely will teach me a lot. Tks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                              X