This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i network 2 pcs over an crossover cable

hi i just found this forum today i need to know how to connect kubuntu 9 to my fedora 11 computer for internet and possibly file sharing

Re: how do i network 2 pcs over an crossover cable

Laptop:
    The easiest way is to put them on the same router (wireless or otherwise) and then use Systemsettings-->Sharing.

desktop with serial port:
    Use the laptop method or
    connect the serial ports with a null modem (crossover) cable and use PPP to connect. See the ppp and serial howto's.

Or, consult the section "How to Convert Your Linux Server into a Simple Router"
    About 3/4ths the way down the page:
    http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w...nux_Networking
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

i meant i had a crossover network cable im trying to conect to a fedora 11 computer with ku buntu but ill try your link anyway thanks

Comment

...internet and possibly file sharing
        Connecting one computer to another (2 NICs) will allow you file sharing, but you will need a third NIC (or modem) to connect to the internet.

I haven't done it but AFAIK you will need to set up one computer as a gateway. This is all very educational, but I think GreyGeek's idea of using a router is, by far, the easiest and most practical method.

Comment

Yes, you would need two NICs in one Linux box if you wanted to connect one Linux box to the network and the other Linux box to the first Linux box. Most ISPs supply a modem with only one eth0 port. Without a wireless you can connect two or more Linux boxes to that one modem. Connect that modem out eth0 to eth0 on the first Linux box with dhcp. Set ip_forward to 1
          echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
          or
          sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
          and connect eth1 of the first Linux box to the eth0 port of the second Linux box.

and, to make permenant, add the following line:
          net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
          to /etc/sysctl.conf
          and then run
          sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.conf

If you have a firewall active (which I don't) then something like this will be necessary:

#eth0 or wlan0 - connection to back of your wireless router or modem, or via the wireless sig
          #eth1 – network card connected to second Linux box at eth0 both must have the same IP
          echo -e “192.168.10.99 00:15:F2:16:6C:C2 dev eth1″ > /srv/mac.list
          arp -f /srv/mac.list
          iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0-j MASQUERADE
          iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -j ACCEPT
          echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
          This example script enable internet for ip 192.168.10.99 with MAC 00:15:F2:16:6C:C2
          You must replace the MAC address with your eth1 MAC address. To find out what it is issue
          ifconfig
          in a Konsole. Even unconnected the MAC for eth1 will be listed. It will be listed like this:
          eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr: xxxxxxx

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Nice little how-to GreyGeek. We don't know yet, but the OP could have a dialup connection and use an internal modem. That's still very common. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
            X