This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardy > Intrepid > Jaunty nightmare, esp. with wifi

I had a fairly comfortable Hardy (8.04) system, but I thought an upgrade to Jaunty would give me better support for bluetooth, Kontact syncing with my mobile, Wine and some other things.

I upgraded to Intrepid fairly easily. I used it for a few days to sort out any kinks.

I went for the Jaunty upgrade. Oops. Firstly it wouldn't complete - 'broken pipes', files used by two packages at once, etc... Also there were overlapping packages, e.g. Kpowermanager and guidance-power-manager, update manager and synaptic. Got that sorted out with much info gleaned from the ubunt forums and elsewhere on apt-get and dpkg forcing and purging. Learned a bit about command line Debian.

Jaunty finally seemed to be working when Synaptic started hinting that there were further updates available and also some orphaned and incomplete packages. Fought my way through those brambles, only to find that I had no access to my network. Wifi was not connecting. Wired I could not define.

I discovered that there was a copy of wpa_supplicant running that could not connect to my wifi card, nor could wpa_cli find it. There was no use running wpa_supplicant from the command line while it was there, and if I did a kill on it somebody just fired up another one.

In desperation I used apt-get to remove and purge wifi-radar, knetworkmanager, network-management, update manager, synaptic and I don't know what else. Now at least I can connect to my wifi manually.

I am now wondering how to rebuild smooth, automated networking. Or "if it's not broke, don't fix it?"

- Erny

Re: Hardy > Intrepid > Jaunty nightmare, esp. with wifi

Knetworkmanager has become an iffy thing. It attempts to connect after the desktop is up. It is very sensitive to hardware, in my experience.

On my wife's Ace 3004Li it never would make a connection so I replaced it with wicd. That was six months ago, and she's never had a network connection problem since. Wicd connects before the xserver starts, so when the KDE4 desktop appears the connection is already to go.

On my Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E/H KnetworkManager worked very well in Jaunty, but was temperamental in Karmic alpha4. After a couple updates it began dropping the connection and refusing to reestablish it without rebooting. So, I was forced to replace it with wicd. That was about 3 weeks ago and I've never had a problem yet. I'm tempted to write a Qt4 GUI interface for it so it can be classified as a KDE4 application!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: Hardy > Intrepid > Jaunty nightmare, esp. with wifi

Thanks very much for that. - Erny

Comment

Working...
      X