Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Uninstalled Network Manager and need to connect to internet.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Uninstalled Network Manager and need to connect to internet.

Let's see if we can't fix what I did to my own system.

Since Network Manager is unable to connect to WPA2 wireless networks, I decided to replace it with WICD. In trying to download it using the package manager, the error report it gave me said that I needed to remove Network Manager in order to be able to download WICD. So, I removed Network Manager from my computer. I used the command in BASH
    Code:
    sudo aptitude remove network-manager
    Now, it seems I have inadvertently disabled my ability to connect to the internet. So, now I am unable to download WICD to replace Network Manager. Is there a way for me to connect to the internet now? How can I fix this?

Re: HELP! Uninstalled Network Manager and need to connect to internet.

See this post.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...1160#msg191160

Comment

I keep a copy of the wicd .deb file on my computer just in case I ever do something like this!

For reference, what you could have tried is:

Code:
      sudo aptitude install wicd
      and this would have installed wicd and removed network manager all in one step.

Comment

Thanks, Olembe, I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

As for the previous poster, is there a way to get my connection up and running without having to go into command line (I'm terrible at command line, know barely anything in it).

Comment

Can you use a wired connection temporarily? If so follow my instructions here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

It does require some use of the command line, but it's not complicated.

Comment

I actually never mentioned the command line in the post I linked. If you want to use Kate or any other Graphical Text Editor to create them you certainly can.

Press Alt-F2 to bring up the run box and then type:
            Code:
            kdesudo kate /etc/network/interfaces
            Edit the interfaces file until it looks like this, then save it:
            Code:
            auto lo
            iface lo inet loopback

auto <iface>
            iface <iface> inet dhcp
            wpa-driver wext
            wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
            (Note, the "<iface>" value should be the name of your wireless interface, probably wlan0 but might also be eth1 or ra0. You can type "iwconfig" from the command line to get the right name. It'll be the only one listed that has wireless extensions)

Then edit the wpa_supplicant file by typing Alt-F2 again and typing the command below and make that file look like the one in the post I linked to and save it.
            Code:
            kdesudo kate /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
            Now, reboot and you should have a connection. Technically you can just restart the networking service, but that requires the command line.

Once you've done all this, install WICD and reboot and everything should work. Note, you might have to make the interfaces file to just include the lines below in order for WICD to manage your network devices. I don't know if the interfaces file is automatically reset when WICD is installed. If it doesn't replace the file, just edit it again as defined above and make it look like this:
            Code:
            auto lo
            iface lo inet loopback

Comment

Working...
            X