This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot Connect to Windows Shares

I encountered the same KDE 4.3 upgradus interruptus problem as this case...
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3105559.0
    However, mine proved to be non-recoverable. Had to resort to reinstalling 9.04 and then doing the KDE 4.3 upgrade.

All went well with the exception of seeing my Windows shares. I have never installed Samba (perfectly content to merely push/pull from my Kubuntu PC) with any of my previous Kubuntu installs, merely living with the rudimentary networking capabilities provided with each installationl. I have never had any problems connecting to Windows shares.

When I now use Dolphin to pull up Network -> Samba Shares, I do see the Windows work group, and after clicking on the work group name, I see individual Windows shares within the work group. However, when I select any of the Windows shares, I get nothing further.

I've been checking the forums regularly, but no one else has reported this problem. Perhaps it's an artifact of the twisted path I took to get the KDE 4.3 upgrade.

Any ideas... anyone??
    Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

Re: Cannot Connect to Windows Shares

Not a solution, but a workaround: business as usual (i.e. before KDE 4.3 upgrade) is still totally UNusual. Using Dolphin, Clicking on a Windows share item within the Windows workgroup returns nothing.

However, if I manually type in the address of the share (e.g. smb://192.168.0.4), then I can see everything that I expect to see on the Windows share.
    Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

Comment

Re: Cannot Connect to Windows Shares

I have the same problem. I had it in 8.1 but could use Komba2 to access the windows shares. Now in 9.04, both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions, I can't access the shares. On the computer with the 32 bit version I dual boot XP and can access the other Windows computers from XP without any problem. I have resorted to booting into XP when ineed something of f the other computers (my wife's or my laptotp) and then copying them from the Windows partition into Kubuntu. Hardly elegant, but I haven't been able to come up with naything else tha works.

Comment

Working...
      X