Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

64-bit WEP Encryption No Longer Supported?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64-bit WEP Encryption No Longer Supported?

Hey guys,

Few days ago I went to a company & wanted to use their wireless network, trying to connect to the network (With My Dell Mini 9 running Ubuntu 9.04), I couldn't connect.

After further investigation & after asking for the encryption details, it turned out that they are using 64-bit WEP encryption.

Ubuntu 9.04 only displayed 128-bit for the WEP encryption.

I tried a short search & turned out someone else ran into the same problem:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1222947

I'm not sure, but it seems that the new Ubuntu 9.04 dropped support for 64-bit WEB encryption, is that correct?

Another question, since Kubuntu is based on Ubuntu, does that also means Kubuntu 9.04 doesn't support 64-bit WEP encryption, or it's related to the Network manager in use?

Re: 64-bit WEP Encryption No Longer Supported?

Kubuntu 9.04 and the upgrade for Karmic Koala 9.10 both support 64 bit WEP Encryption. Speaking from experience in problems with past network manager problems, I understand your concerns. If you can wait the month it might be better to go with the newer version of Kubuntu, if not and you don't want to fool with the bugs get Kubuntu 9.04 or upgrade your Ubuntu with KDE 4.2.2. I'm running Kubuntu 9.10 AMD64 upgraded from Kubuntu 9.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. The only bugs I found are not in the KDE 4.3.1 or the Kernel, just in the upgraded software and there are bug fixes coming a mile a minute. Hope this helps.
    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

As many have said, install wicd instead. Does a much better job of network managing that the default Knetwork Manager.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

And, wicd is faster at establishing a connection, too. When the KDE4 desktop appears the connection has already been established. With KNetwork Manager it took another 15-30 seconds to make the Internet connection. If, during use, the connection was broken, re-establishing it sometimes required a reboot. I've had good success using Knetwork Manger on my laptop, but it utterly failed on my wife's Acer 3404Li, Essentially, the Knetwork Manager model is unreliable and some may consider it broken, which is why I eventually switched both my Januty and Karmic partitions to wicd. I've had no issues on either laptop since.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X