This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to automatically reconnect ADSL connection

Hi! Sometimes it happens that the carrier of my ADSL is lost, and so the connection. The carrier usually is on again in a few minutes, but I noticed with Kubuntu the connection is not re-estabilished. I have to manually do a sudo pon dsl-provider to have it back. This is very very bothering as Kubuntu is a NAT box so the connection is not available to all the NATted systems. Is this the normal behavior? Shouldn't the connection be re-estabilished automatically? I used to have Gentoo and with it this was automatic. Is there anything I can do?
    Thanks!

Re: How to automatically reconnect ADSL connection

Are you using network manager or wicd or something else?

Have you read this howto? http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3104329.0

wicd has settings for selecting various networks and for automatically re-connection

HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

No, I'm only using the command line as I use the system via ssh. Isn't it possible to do this without any other application?
      Thanks!

Comment

Using the command line, I use
        Code:
        sudo pppoeconf
        but you need to be root.
        This will ask for a name for the connection, your DSL connection name and password and then a few options about starting at boot and connecting now. I've found it quite reliable. If the connection drops and is not restarted, use
        Code:
        sudo pon dsl-provider
        HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Yes, that is what I've done. But it seems its not reconnecting after the carrier disappears and is back again.

Comment

this has happened to me with ppoeconf. never got it resolved.

i have heard of some users writing a script that checks if ppp0 interface is up, if not it runs the adsl connect thingy again.

Comment

Working...
            X