This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved]Wireless on Toshiba M800-104

After having (finally) solved my wired problem with this Laptop with JJ 64bit I am now faced with getting the wireless working.

I have never worked with wireless before and don't have a wlan point at home but would like to use my laptop on the road.

This is my Hardware:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci

07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040T PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
    08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100
    I have wicd installed and it sees the different wireless points unsecured and secured.

I try connecting but it doesn't connect.

In wicd-> preferences -> drivers for wpa-suplicant it is set to: wext
    and wireless network adapter is wlan0

Can anyone give me some advice on how to get this running?

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Wireless on Toshiba M800-104

mmm, most likely on the road you'll _only_ use open AP's, do you really need to worry about this? I would take the lappy to a cafe with wifi and test it there, to make sure it'll be fine.

Comment

are you trying to connect to an open access point, or encrypted. If encrypted, what type of encryption? If it sees the access points, chances are you are good to go, it's just a matter of getting the right settings.

mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Thank you both, I have a list of over 10 access points in my neighborhood (open and closed) that are "seen" by wicd just doesn't want to connect to either.

If it sees the access points, chances are you are good to go, it's just a matter of getting the right settings.
        It sees all but wicd does not connect to the open ones. Something is missing,.

Cheers
        F
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Well, you clearly shouldn't use them, and I know you are just meaning to test. It could be that the signals are weak, and you can't connect. Also, some people may leave the connection unencrypted, but filter out MAC's, so you will get rejected. In any store that provides wifi to their public this will not be an issue, which is why I suggested that ...

Comment

how good is the signal, are you using dhcp, etc...also, try a couple open AP's, since people are getting smarter on wireless security and using MAC address filters, so even though it is open doesn't mean it will give you an address...

mm0
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
              Well, you clearly shouldn't use them, and I know you are just meaning to test. It could be that the signals are weak, and you can't connect. Also, some people may leave the connection unencrypted, but filter out MAC's, so you will get rejected. In any store that provides wifi to their public this will not be an issue, which is why I suggested that ...
              wow...I posted mine at the same time you posted yours...

Comment

Thankx guys. give me 30 seconds to restart. I had the wifi turned off just now.
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Okay, wicd sees o few at 48% to 58% but the wlan card does not show green so it is not active. :P
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

so, on the open ones, when you press 'connect', what happens...there is usually some text in the status bar of wicd that will give you an idea...does it 'connect', but you have no internet, or does it time out, etc.

mm0

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
                      wow...I posted mine at the same time you posted yours...
                      Now, that's scary, what if I (you) am (are) getting schizophrenic, LOL

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                        Now, that's scary, what if I (you) am (are) getting schizophrenic, LOL

Cheers!
                        LOL!!!

Comment

so, on the open ones, when you press 'connect', what happens...there is usually some text in the status bar of wicd that will giand tries tom ve you an idea...does it 'connect', but you have no internet, or does it time out, etc.
                          It disconnects the wired (Lan) and tries to connect with the ap. the wireless card shows red (not green) so it is not active and the wicd say cannot connect and reverts to lan.
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Just out of curiosity shound't the be a wpa-suplicant file?
                            soimething like this (thanks Dible):
                            ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
                            ctrl_interface_group=netdev
                            ap_scan=1
                            fast_reauth=1
                            eapol_version=1
                            #network={
                            # ssid="TRENDnet"
                            # psk={lotta stuff}
                            # priority=5
                            #}

network={
                            key_mgmt=NONE
                            }
                            Or does wicd generate it's own?
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                              ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
                              ctrl_interface_group=netdev
                              ap_scan=1
                              fast_reauth=1
                              eapol_version=1

network={
                              key_mgmt=NONE
                              }
                              That is the way my wpa_supplicant.conf file reads, for the roaming thing. The part that is commented out is for my own wireless router, so that is not applicable to your roaming question.

Comment

Working...
                              X