This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub looking at wrong hard disk

I just reinstalled 9.04, after running into some problems with 9.10. I have 3 hard disks installed, and Kubuntu 9.04 is the only OS. Trying to boot, I get the "grub error, disk not found" or something like that, with "grub rescue >".

I've run into this before and solved it by editing the grub menu.lst, changing it from hd(1,0) to hd(0,0) (or maybe the reverse; I forget at the moment). But I can't write the changes to the hard disk when I'm running from the CD... a su issue?

Anyway, how do I get this 9.04 re-installation past the "grub rescue" prompt? If I'm right that it's by editing grub's menu.lst, how do I get the rights to do that?

Seems to me that when I installed this earlier I opened up the box and unplugged all of the other hd's. I don't want to do that this time.
    -- Werdigo49
    Registered Linux User #291592
    Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Re: Grub looking at wrong hard disk

Well, I finally gave up, opened the machine up and unplugged all but one disk, and reinstalled 9.04. The machine booted from grub just fine, and I'm now posting from it.
    -- Werdigo49
    Registered Linux User #291592
    Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Comment

Re: Grub looking at wrong hard disk

I ran into the same issue but with 9.10, not being able to write to the menu.lst, but on my machine it was using /boot/grub/grub.cfg which I was able to access via a kubuntu 8.04 liveUSB I'd made last year. The liveCD of 9.10 would not write changes to the file. Also, though I'd never found if it was needed I'd assumed a op sys adoption to detect changes having been made. So I accessed and resaved a file called /boot/grub/grubenv so as to give it a time-stamp after /boot/grub/grub.cfg .

I think that was what happened, though that was back in Dec '09. And with kubuntu 9.10 . I haven't tried to access the file in 9.04 so I don't know if the same type of issue might exist in it.

Comment

Working...
      X