This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD loads at boot but then goes to a black screen

Okay I am new to a linux based system so bear with me. I tried ubuntu first as it was suggested by a friend, it loaded the initial install screen then went black. The thought was perhaps it was a bad copy or something when the iso was burned, so I ordered a disk from kubuntu in hopes that would solve it. After recieving the new disk I am having the same issue, the initial setup comes on as it boots from the disk but if I choose to install or try it without changes the screen goes black and nothing happens. I am well with in the recommeded specs and it lets me run the memory check which says I am good to go but it is not doing more than that. Does anyone know if there is some setting I can change, drivers that need installed ect? I am trying to install on a laptop compaq presario 900. Any help is appriciated.

Re: CD loads at boot but then goes to a black screen

See #2 in the Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thank you ^.^ I will work on this tonight and see if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by jynx1218@gmail.com
        .... The thought was perhaps it was a bad copy or something when the iso was burned, so I ordered a disk from kubuntu in hopes that would solve it. ...? I am trying to install on a laptop compaq presario 900.
        In the future you can use the "Check disc for defects" on the main menu when you boot the LiveCD. If that passes its highly unlikely the cd is bad.

I'm not sure what video the compaq presario 900 has, but at the bottom of the LiveCD screen push "F6 Other options", then push Esc key, you will be a the end of the "Boot options" line. Then add "nomodeset"(without quotes) on the end of line, then hit return. See if that gives you a display. You could remove the quiet to see the boot process, if you want.

There's a lot of issues regarding video cards.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
        X