This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grub2 splash images

i have just upgraded to grub2 and wld like to use an image on boot but dont seem to be able to get it to work i,m using 9.04. i have been googling trying to solve this prolem any ideas

Re: grub2 splash images

that's either herman or david
    hang on, I'll get the links for you
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
      http://members.iinet.net/%7Eherman54...ashimages.html
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

i have seen both of thease today have tried most things i have come across, it just shows no image found, i have edited the 05 debain file, i also never got a mage when 1st installing grub it was just a blank screen any more ideas pls

Comment

I don't use splash images, sorry.
          Did you run
          sudo update-grub
          after setting things up the way you thought they should work?
          (or, sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg)
          Seems it may come down to WHERE the images are stored.
          Lots on a google about this:
          Grub 2 splash images:
          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...S:official&hs=
          zmV&ei=6fH2SvKSDIWMswOuloC1CQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum =0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=
          0CAYQBSgA&q=Grub2+splash+images&spell=1

Comment

yes i have done update as you said and yes there is a lot on google but non seems to sort my problem thks for your help anyway

Comment

Re: grub2 splash images: Anyone done it?

We have some members using GRUB 2 splash images, maybe they'll come along here to help.
              Maybe you can bump this, adding something in the title

Comment

Re: grub2 splash images anyone done it

cheers mate

Comment

Are the Specs the same for an image file as it was for the old GRUB? I was able to modify my GRUB resolution to 800x600 (which is nice) so I'm willing to give this a try. Had a Splash under the old GRUB.

Comment

I have a working splash in my grub2 menu, so it's definitely possible.

1. Can you post your /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme (to see the changes you're made)
                    2. What image format are you using in your splash image?

Comment

@kubicle

What image format did you use?

@QQ

I was able to created a new grub.cfg with the modified resolution on my laptop. I used "update-grub" there and it does as I though expected. My DT however wants to keep creating menu.lst using that command. It seems to use the menu.lst as I modify it and those changes are there and the resolution of 800x600 doesn't take. It appears that grub.cfg isn't even looked at. As a matter of fact, I used the command "grub-mkconfig" and it looks as though it creates one, but when I open it there is nothing there and it is IDed as a unknown with binary file icon. Any clues?

Comment

Note that
                        sudo grub-mkconfig
                        prints its output to the screen (default = stdout).
                        To print to the grub.cfg, use
                        sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
                        or
                        sudo grub-mkconfig --output=/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Reply #1 of the GRUB 2 Guide
                        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0

That might do it.
                        mkconfig is confusing because it will not change the grub.cfg unles you tell it too.
                        In my opinion, not good programming practice:
                        sudo grub-mkconfig should warn you that no changes will be
                        made unless you use the -o option; that would be a nice reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                          @kubicle
                          What image format did you use?
                          I used .tga ... looking at the config file, .png should also work, but IIRC I had some issues with the PNG format.

Comment

@Q

Why on my laptop when running update-grub it says generating grub.cfg but on my Desktop it creates a menu.lst? That's where I'm getting confused. I think? Once home, I'll give it another try. Should I remove the grub.cfg and menu.lst files it does have there?

Comment

grub.cfg is with GRUB 2 (so GRUB 2 is installed to the MBR of some drive on that machine).
                              menu.lst is with GRUB legacy (so GRUB legacy is installed to the MBR of some drive on that machine).

Depends on what you want, GRUB 2 or GRUB Legacy controlling the boot show. Or, have GRUB Legacy installed to the MBR and chainload to GRUB 2 (installed to the OS partition), which is how it often happens by design when GRUB 2 is installed to a machine that already has GRUB legacy on it; or have GRUB 2 installed to the MBR and chainload to GRUB Legacy (installed to the OS partition). That is, you can go straight or you can mix and match the GRUBs.

Comment

Working...
                              X