This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade Hardy->Jaunty: mounting network drive errors

I recently upgraded to Jaunty and now I am having problems mounting a network drive; worked fine on Hardy.

Here's my /etc/fstab:
    //10.12.12.15/PUBLIC /media/wdhd1 cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_ mode=0777,noperm 0 0
    It would auto-mount the drive with no problem

Here's the mount command I used on Hardy if I had to do anything manual:
    sudo mount -t cifs //10.12.12.15/PUBLIC ~/Public -o username=jseidel,uid=jseidel,file_mode=0777,dir_mo de=0777'

The first time I booted after the upgrade, the drive failed to auto-mount, so I ran the mount command above. It failed, complaining that there was no ~/Public directory. This was strange, as I'd never had the problem under Hardy. So I created ~/Public and the drive mounted just fine.

However, the drive still will not auto-mount and I have to run the command manually. Furthermore, all this used to mount the drive as /media/wdhd1, but now it gets mounted as ~/Public instead. (I've since changed this, although I don't know what changed in Jaunty to make this work differently).

My main question is: what am I doing wrong on the /etc/fstab entry that keeps the drive from auto-mounting in the first place?

Thanks much...jon

Re: Upgrade Hardy->Jaunty: mounting network drive errors

Hi,

Does /media/wdhd1 exist? Did you check that? You can create it otherwise

Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/wdhd1
    Then just try this command :

Code:
    sudo mount /media/wdhd1
    This should mount it (without specifying all the mount parameters, which will be read from fstab). If that works, this should also work upon reboot, or so I hope

Comment

As I understand it, the "/media/wdhd1" is the new mount name that we are creating and the //10.12.12.15/PUBLIC is the actual location where the data is located... i.e., I want to allow the network address to be mounted as /media/wdhd1. And the PUBLIC directory DOES exist on //10.12.12.15 - that's where I did the mkdir.

Therefore, I can't understand why (or where) I would want to do the mkdir you are suggesting...

Comment

on your client your must make the /media/wdhd1 directory (it will not make the folder when you mount) also check and make sure that your /root/.smbcredentals file exsists as well as contains the correct info
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Yes, that's exactly the answer, you need it in the client.

Comment

OK... I checked and /media/wdhd1 is already there (I guess I created it a long time ago and forgot about it...sorry); it has all the same permissions as /media/floppy0 and /media/cdrom0.

After booting, a simple `sudo mount /media/wdhd1` does work just fine.

BTW, I tried adding the _netdev option (file system needs network access before attempting to mount), but that didn't help.

All this still doesn't explain why it worked flawlessly on 8.04 and failed from the time I upgraded to 9.04...

I'll look into the smbcredentials, but again... there's no change from 8.04 that I made and doesn't the fact that I can mount it indicate that this part is OK?

Thanks very much...jon

Comment

ok now i remember, i also have mounts on boot in my fstab(i never had luck w/ _netdev option), in jaunty you will have to use wicd manager (or better yet create an /etc/network/interfaces file) i have done the later (as in karmic wicd loads to late in the stack to mount @ boot) below is a sample file w/ comments so you can make your own
              start with the loopback section seen below
              [code=/etc/network/interfaces]
              auto lo
              iface lo inet loopback
              [/code]
              now there are TWO ways to set up your eth0(default wired connection name) section one for dhcp configured and one for manual, you can do this for any wired interface (never tried w/ a wifi device )
              [code=automatic dhcp]
              auto eth0
              iface eth0 inet dhcp
              [/code]
              the above will configure you network based on what the dhcp server tells it, use this one if you have a dhcp server in your network (such as in your router), and your machines ip don't matter (if it matters then be sure to set a static dhcp rule for it if dhcp server supports it)

[code= manual connection]
              auto eth0
              iface eth0 inet static
              address 192.163.0.100
              netmask 255.255.255.0
              gateway 192.168.0.1
              dns-nameservers 56.56.56.1 56.56.56.2
              [/code]
              the manual connection is a bit more to set up. but is very useful if your machine requires the same ip address on each boot, most of the time the dhcp can be set to assign an ip to a machines mac address on each boot, but some router based dhcp servers don't provide you with an option to do so (such as my linksys wrt54G). to use just change the values to the ones your network needs.

after you create the above file it will bypass any gui networkmanager and set up you connection much eariler in the boot process. this will elimate the need for a _netdev option in your fstab.

Comment

Sorry; that didn't work.

The /etc/network/interfaces file was already there and all I had to do was uncomment the "iface eth0 inet dhcp" directive. I did remove the _netdev option from /etc/fstab...

Comment

can you mount the shares after boot? with
                  [code= run in konsole]
                  sudo mount -a
                  [/code]
                  at very least you will get an error message to point you in the right direction.

Comment

Jon

I think sithlord is pointing in the right direction, it seems as if the mounting should succeed, but the network is starting too late. Maybe you can change the network management, if you are using wicd try knetwork manager, and the converse otherwise. Hopefully one of them starts at the right time?

Comment

OK... I rebooted, did a
                      sudo mount -a
                      and I got no error messages. The command did, however, properly mount my cifs file.

Comment

@lmilano...

I don't know which one of those is installed (wicd or knetwork manager), so I'll have to do some research and figure that out. In the meantime, at least I can mount the drive manually after a boot and it works fine. A bit frustrating, but workable and maybe not worth a bunch more effort... (I had figured it would be a simple fix to correct something I was doing wrong, but so far that's not the case

My thanks to you and @sithlord for all your help!

...jon

Comment

if you can mount after boot and after you log in , your network connection is starting after disk mounting. most likely your using knetwork manager , but i have noticed that wicd also seams to start later then disk mount (when it used to start correctly in jaunty)

Comment

Working...
                          X