This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Upgrade Hardy->Jaunty: tar backup fails

I've been running on Hardy for a year and decided to upgrade to Jaunty. Upgrade itself went without errors, but now my tar backups fail. The command is executed from a Ruby script:

sudo tar pzcvf /media/wdhd1/Backups_Linux/EDP15_2009-11-07.tgz --exclude-from=/home/jseidel/bin/bkup.exclude_files / >/media/wdhd1/Backups_Linux/EDP15_2009-11-07.log

On Hardy, it ran pretty quickly and created a 7Gig backup file. Now it runs for hours, creates a 79Gig file, and always stops at the same place. These are the last few lines of the output before it hangs:

tar: /proc/32492/net/atm: file changed as we read it
    tar: /tmp/ksocket-jseidel/klauncherMT4306.slave-socket: socket ignored
    tar: /tmp/ksocket-jseidel/kdeinit4__0: socket ignored
    tar: /tmp/.X11-unix/X0: socket ignored
    tar: /tmp/ksocket-root/kdeinit4__0: socket ignored
    tar: /tmp/ksocket-root/klauncherMT5068.slave-socket: socket ignored
    tar: /tmp/gpg-RzlVTV/S.gpg-agent: socket ignored
    tar: /tmp/ssh-aBsFco4103/agent.4103: socket ignored
    tar: /tmp/.ICE-unix/4449: socket ignored
    tar: /dev/log: socket ignored

Any suggestions on why something as basic as tar would change in this upgrade and what I can do to fix the issue?

Thanks...jon

Re: Upgrade Hardy->Jaunty: tar backup fails

Found the problem. The Jaunty upgrade had resulted in another issue with mounting the external network drive on which I did the backups. My work on that had resulted in another pointer to the network drive in my home directory, so tar was trying to backup the backup drive! I fixed my mount command and now the backup works correctly.

...jon

Comment

Working...
    X