This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flgrx and 9.04

I'm on version 8 and being nagged to update. When I try to update I get message that 9.04 is not compatible with ATI's flgrx video driver. As I use fkgrx to get a wide (dual ) screen I cancel the upgrade. Does anyone know if there is another easy ( I'm a relative newbie ) to get dual screens in 9.04 or 9.1?

Jim

Re: flgrx and 9.04

True, the initial 9.04 had no support for fglrx (Catalyst). I think 9.10 does, though I haven't tried it myself. Do you get that warning if you try to go 9.10? The best way though would be to install into a usb key, play a bit, install catalyst there and see how it goes with your driver.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by alfiesty
      I'm on version 8 and being nagged to update. When I try to update I get message that 9.04 is not compatible with ATI's flgrx video driver. As I use fkgrx to get a wide (dual ) screen I cancel the upgrade. Does anyone know if there is another easy ( I'm a relative newbie ) to get dual screens in 9.04 or 9.1?

Jim
      You card is likely relegated to legacy status by ATi. The only way to install fglrx is to manually install it in Jaunty, here:

http://tan-com.com/posts/technology/...i-driver-issue

This way is nowhere near newbie friendly, plus you have to do several things before attempting to use the guide.

1) Clean install of Jaunty or:

1a) Purge fglrx from intrepid, install the opensource radeon drivers and upgrade to Jaunty

2) Use the guide

3) Fiddle around /etc/X11/xorg.conf
      3a) disable xrandr to allow catalyst command center to do its thing

As you see, there are no easy answers. If you are happy with 8, then you should stick with it. If it is intrepid, then support is going to last till next April.

Comment

ssri said at the end of his reply
        :
        --------------------
        As you see, there are no easy answers. If you are happy with 8, then you should stick with it. If it is intrepid, then support is going to last till next April.
        -----------------

So I'll stay with 8. It is still usable after April, just not supported! I mainly use this computer to access the internet safely. Most of my astronomy programs only work in m$windows. I've been perfectly happy with 8 so why worry.

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X