Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu installer asks for username and password. SOLVED!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu installer asks for username and password. SOLVED!!!!

Hello,

I am trying to install Kubuntu 9.04 After telling the installer the language and time zone the installer comes with a window asking me for a user name and password which I do not have so I can not proceed installing what can I do about this

Re: Kubuntu installer asks for username and password

Hi

You need to choose a new user name and a new password at that stage. You'll need to remember those in order to login after installation

Comment

I wish this was true No the Installer wishes a specifiek username and password thats the problem! I did install Kubuntu previous to Vmware fusion an emulation program on the Mac and this went with no problems at all. Now I'm trying to install Kubuntu on a laptop and the installer wants this username and password very strange but this is what happens!

Comment

Wow, this is weird, what media are you using? Usb stick? CD? ON a usb stick, you can make the live cd persistent, and things stored. If that's the case, I would just transfer the original install image to the stick again ...

Comment

First of all I wish to thank you for replying I am using a live cd which I downloaded from the Kubuntu site. Untill now I am coming to step 2 of the six steps to be taken so I filled in the time zone and than the installer asks for the specifiek username and password which I do not have end of exercise

Comment

IF it's a live cd or install cd and IF it's booting what your discribing is prity mutch imposable!!

did you acualey try puting in a user name and password?

pleas dont get mad you wouldent beleve some of the casuall mistakes that get posted hear!!

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I found this screenshot from Kubuntu 8.04 installation, I think this window in Kubuntu 9.04 is pretty much the same. There you can input a new name and a new password during an installation. If you have something totally different bring us a photo of it to see if it is impossible or not.
              Attached Files
              Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

@ Vinnywright, I do not get mad very easily so don't worry. I still find it rather strange that I need to fill in a username and password I do not have yet 8)

Unfortunately I decided to install Ubuntu on the laptop therefore I am no longer able to reproduce the installer asking for a username and password. I now have the problem how in the world do I get Kubuntu installed on that laptop running Ubuntu? Is there anyone to help me doing this? Any help is very welcome because I realy am a newbie in linux land. I do have a cd with the kubuntu iso image burnt on it. But Ubuntu does not seem to know what to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by pipo
                  @ Vinnywright, I do not get mad very easily so don't worry. I still find it rather strange that I need to fill in a username and password I do not have yet 8)
                  Well, what we've all trying to say is that you seem to be confusing the username and login password you use once the OS is installed, with the username and login password you choose when you are about to install the OS. I think we are still not on the same page. Think about it: the computer needs to know, when you install kubuntu, what username _you_ decide to use, and what password _you_ choose. After that, you need to remember then and use them, this is to protect you from other people accidentally (or not) damaging _your_ information in your computer.

I now have the problem how in the world do I get Kubuntu installed on that laptop running Ubuntu? Is there anyone to help me doing this? Any help is very welcome because I realy am a newbie in linux land. I do have a cd with the kubuntu iso image burnt on it. But Ubuntu does not seem to know what to do with it.
                  The easiest thing is you replace Ubuntu by Kubuntu. The not so trivial (but not very difficult) you install them side by side.

In both cases, Ubuntu has nothing to do. You need to boot the lappy, look for instructions on how to enter the BIOS setup, and choose to boot, first priority, from the media where you put the kubuntu installer.

Or, even better: most modern laptops/desktops have an easier way: you can hit a certain key to choose where to boot, only for that particular time.

The installer will let you choose between the two options I mentioned

Please mark the thread as [SOLVED] (edit the first post). If you have particular questions, it is better (for many reasons) to start a new thread, and feel free to add a link from here to the new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                    Originally posted by pipo
                    Well, what we've all trying to say is that you seem to be confusing the username and login password you use once the OS is installed, with the username and login password you choose when you are about to install the OS. I think we are still not on the same page.
                    So do I, but for a different reason.

The OP (Ha die Joop!) and I talked about this briefly when I met him yesterday. Initially, I also thought this was about the screen where you select a username and a password required to login, but he convinced me it was something different entirely. It didn't look anything like the screen in josefko's post. No fields to enter the user's real name, confirm the password or specify the computer name. Just a small window that asked for a username and a password and wouldn't accept new data entered (i.e. nothing to choose here).

Hé Joop, e-mail me if you need more info about putting Kubuntu on that laptop. Or bring it along next time you visit my neighbour and we'll sort it out together.

Frank

Comment

@ Grizzler Thats a nice suprice! Whell I finally managed to install Kubuntu on the laptop. So the subject may be closed. I will send an e-mail to you.

Everybody thanks for trying to help I am glad that I managed to install Kubuntu at last!

Comment

Excellent, thanks ofr the update Pipo and Grizzler.

Pipo: you are the one who can "close" this thread, you need to edit the original post and add [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Comment

@ Imilano, I am going to close the thread in a moment I must say that some people do not seem to understand what they reed! For the last time I will explain what the original problem was: Installing Kubuntu went fine untill the stage that I was asked to fill in a username and a password in the way one has to do when starting up an already installed system. I only could fil in a username and a password! When installing a new fresh system one is asked to fill in a username for the reasens you mentioned. Then one is asked to fill in a password for the same reasens. THEN one is asked to verify that password by filling in the same password again. And this all was not the case when I was installing the Kubuntu system on my laptop. I just had to log in with a username and password which I do not have get the picture?
                          I hope that one can see my problem now. But the problem is solved and I will close the thread now!

Comment

Re: Kubuntu installer asks for username and password. SOLVED!!!!

I tried to help here so I feel to be involved. Can somebody please explain me what was going on here?
                            - Was it a joke?
                            - Is it possible what pipo stated and if it is, what was the reason of such weird behavior of installation program?
                            - What was the solution? Solved topics are useful not only for pipo but also for the others searching for information .

lmilano@ Do you understand what was going on here? Maybe my English is not good enough to understand.
                            Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Re: Kubuntu installer asks for username and password. SOLVED!!!!

Originally posted by josefko
                              I tried to help here so I feel to be involved. Can somebody please explain me what was going on here?
                              - Was it a joke?
                              - Is it possible what pipo stated and if it is, what was the reason of such weird behavior of installation program?
                              - What was the solution? Solved topics are useful not only for pipo but also for the others searching for information .

lmilano@ Do you understand what was going on here? Maybe my English is not good enough to understand.
                              Josefko: I don't think it's your English, and mine wouldn't be much better anyway. Everyone acted in good faith, so I feel disappointed to be told that "some people don't understand what they read"

Clearly, pipo had a login window in front, for whatever reason. Also, the initial description of the situation was not clear, which is why we all kept insisting that the window in question was intended to choose a new username and password.

This can't be a bug in the install CD, as it would be more popular than Amy Winehouse. One possible explanation is that pipo accidentally hit the option to boot from the main HD, in which there as another install, and was asked for that particular password. But it's pointless to speculate, unless pipo can produce a screen shot and exact details

I would also like to know how did this get solved, did you, pipo, use the same install CD in the successful install?

In the meantime, josefko, please keep helping others, it's great to see folks lending hands to each other, and this is what Kubuntu is all about: "towards humanity".

Comment

Working...
                              X