This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Live CD not working with my gfx card

I am trying to run both Live CD of 9.04 and the Installer on my PC. Both hang with no graphcs working, my monitor says 'No Signal'. It would seem that neither the Live CD version or the installer will cope with my Randeon X800 graphics card. I tried selecting Safe Graphics mode but that gave me flashing lines all over my monitor. My PC has 2gb memory and is an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I have run from the CD under VirtualBox on the same PC running XP so the CD works, It also installed on my Laptop OK. Is there any way to get this to work?

Anyone any ideas?

Stuart

Edit: Managed to get it to load with vga=771 on boot options. Still I'd have expected it to cope with an X800 not exactly cutting edge!

Re: Problem with Live CD not working with my gfx card

See FAQ #2 in my signature

Comment

Thanks for the update, I think vga=795 should work better on my setup.

Stuart

Comment

Sadly I have had to dicth Kubuntu, dont know why but after managing to get it installed I had terrible trouble getting my gfx card configured correctly/at all. Next it kept freezing with Caps and Scroll lights flashing which I gather is a Kernel Panic and all I could do was a hard reset of the PC. There was no pattern to these panics they just happened randomly even when I was not doing much. I had managed to update all packages so perhaps there is a problem with one of the updates but I could find no info which helped me try to find a cause and since they happened after every boot between 5 and 15 minutes of running I just gave up. The hardware is fine because it runs XP just fine and now boots and runs another distro with no problems at all.

Maybe I'll try Kubuntu again in the future but perosnally I find that too much stuff is hidden from user view like configuring Xorg and beeing able to edit files as root.

Just my thoughts....

Stuart

Comment

Working...
        X