X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win7 upgrade question..

Hello! Remember me?

Well everything has been working swimmingly (aside from a few issues with sound.. silly x-fi cards..). Well, today windows 7 was released and it's probably time to upgrade from xp. If you remember my last thread (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106880.0) I have kubuntu installed on a first HD and windows xp on a non-first HD, I solved the grub issues by using the map command as suggested and everything worked perfectly thanks to alot of help from Qqmike and lmilano.

Righty, so I need to install the "upgrade" edition of windows 7 now, without risking the loss of files on linux - I tend to do all my work on linux, and eventhough they are backed up I cannot be without linux. My original plan was to unplug the linux hd, re-establish boot order to the windows hd and perform the upgrade, thereafter plug the linux hd back in and live happily ever after. This will most likely not work as the MBR will be overwritten by windows 7.. last time this happened /boot was empty, stage1 could not be found and I was forced to reinstall kubuntu to solve the issue.. something I don't want to have to do this time.

Any ideas on how to upgrade to xp->win7 on a non-first HD without messing up grub beyond repair? I don't intend to upgrade if I risk losing linux.. not again

Sorry if this sort of question doesn't belong here..

Re: Win7 upgrade question..

Originally posted by odin
    Hello! Remember me?
    Sure -- I raised my bloody sword in prayerful worship to you, when I was a Viking.

Well everything has been working swimmingly (aside from a few issues with sound.. silly x-fi cards..). Well, today windows 7 was released and it's probably time to upgrade from xp. If you remember my last thread (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106880.0) I have kubuntu installed on a first HD and windows xp on a non-first HD, I solved the grub issues by using the map command as suggested and everything worked perfectly thanks to alot of help from Qqmike and lmilano.

Righty, so I need to install the "upgrade" edition of windows 7 now, without risking the loss of files on linux - I tend to do all my work on linux, and eventhough they are backed up I cannot be without linux. My original plan was to unplug the linux hd, re-establish boot order to the windows hd and perform the upgrade, thereafter plug the linux hd back in and live happily ever after. This will most likely not work as the MBR will be overwritten by windows 7.. last time this happened /boot was empty, stage1 could not be found and I was forced to reinstall kubuntu to solve the issue.. something I don't want to have to do this time.

Any ideas on how to upgrade to xp->win7 on a non-first HD without messing up grub beyond repair? I don't intend to upgrade if I risk losing linux.. not again

Sorry if this sort of question doesn't belong here..

Everything I read about upgrading XP to Win 7 suggests that it is devilishly complicated and fraught with a number of risks of breakage. Here's an example -- Google will find more for you:

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/10145.html

The considered advice seems to be to save yourself the grief, use "FDISK C:" and make a clean installation of Win 7. And you are adding a lot more complexity to the problem by trying to preserve a Linux installation on the same platform. So, you are heading out on the plank of no return there -- I guess you can be a pioneer and advise the rest of us what works for you, if you happen to pull off the maneuver successfully.

Comment

might want to have a grub live disk so that you can fix grub afterwards.. (you are prolly gonna need it as windows likes to over write the mbr on installs)

you may find this link usefull in the event grub becomes broken

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-2677...b-disk-live-cd

oh and do let us know how it goes , good luck
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Backup everything to external media, both Kubuntu and Windows, before attempting the upgrade. That will protect you from the worst possibilities.

You can always reinstall the MBR or boot sectors later if they get screwed.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Hiho,

Well, I backed everything up and physically removed the linux hd. Formatted, performed win7 upgrade and it's looking alot like they looked at kde4 and thought "hmm, I'll use that...". Anyways, tomorrow I'll try shoving the linux hd back in and restoring grub to the mbr. Hopefully with all I've learnt here I should be ok... time will tell I guess

Thanks for all the replies, I'll keep you posted!

Comment

Working...
          X