This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

version 2.9 of xserver-xorg-video-intel

I'm curious if anyone has successfully upgraded a 9.04 system to version 2.9 of the intel video driver. I'm using the xorg-edgers PPA to get the latest updates. I did a full upgrade last Friday that included the 2.9 driver and it broke my X setup. I was never able to start X with the 2.9 driver - not even in low graphics mode. I eventually had to restore from a backup, lock the intel driver at the current 2.8 version then do the full upgrade. That fixed my problem but gave me pause about upgrading to 9.10 which I'm betting includes the 2.9 driver. I'm curious if anyone has any more information. Thanks.

Cheers, UK
    linux && bash = "the future"

Re: version 2.9 of xserver-xorg-video-intel

Hi

I think these days kernel and X are more interrelated than ever, maybe that's yout issue. Karmic is using the same, yes:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/xs...rg-video-intel

It runs beautifully on my Dell Mini 9, in Karmic

Cheers,
    Leo

Comment

I tried it with kernels 2.6.30 and 2.6.31. It's not a supported configuration and I'm dual monitor so I'm not too concerned. The only issue I hit when I tried 9.10 was dual monitor configuration. I have not heard any reports of dual monitor success with the latest Intel driver in a 9.10 environment. I can keep it working in 9.04 up to kernel 2.6.30 and 2.8 of the Intel driver. If I go to kernel 2.6.31 or the 2.9 version of the driver it breaks my dual monitor setup.

Comment

I see. Now, if you gug me every now and then I can test on my mini. Do you want mirrored mode or extended desktop or both? The mirror mode is good for a lappy in that you can watch internet tv on the ral tv (I did it a few times with the eee701, but the mini should have a little more muscle)

Comment

I can get mirror mode to work too, forgot to mention I did get mirror mode working under 9.10. No luck yet with extended desktop. I appreciate the help testing.

Comment

My pleasure! On my eeepc, with KDE 4, which is all it has had, I never got the extended desktop to work. If you could outline how to get it running it will help me test. Do you just allow this from the System Settings -> Display entry? (this is all I tried, and never see the option to do extended desktop there)

Thanks!

Comment

Sure, here is my xorg.conf file as it exists today in 9.04. I also had some success in 9.04 running xrandr from the command-line. Forget Display Settings, I never got that to work. I originally followed instructions found at http://intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html

If others have laptops with Intel cards of any kind I encourage you to join in the testing. I personally have an IBM T61 with 965GM card. At this point I have not found one reported success with latest Intel drivers, 9.10 and an extended desktop. I personally don't mind if it takes some manual configuration. I'm not convinced it works yet with the latest kernel and Intel drivers.

Code:
              Section "Monitor"
                  Identifier   "NEC 2490WUXi"
                  Option     "DPMS"    
                  Option     "LeftOf" "LVDS"
                  HorizSync    31.5-93.8   
                  VertRefresh   50-85     
              EndSection               

Section "Monitor"
                  Identifier   "Laptop Monitor"
                  Option     "DPMS"
                  HorizSync    28-80
                  VertRefresh   43-60
              EndSection

Section "Screen"
                  Identifier   "External Screen"
                  Device     "VGA"
                  Monitor     "NEC 2490WUXi"
                  DefaultDepth  24
                  SubSection "Display"
                      Depth      24
                      Modes      "1920x1200"
                  EndSubSection
              EndSection

Section "Device"
                  Identifier   "VGA"
                  Driver     "intel"
                  BusId      "PCI:0:2:0"
                  Option     "monitor-VGA"      "NEC 2490WUXi"
                  Option     "AccelMethod"      "uxa"
                  Option     "EXAOptimizeMigration" "true"
                  Option     "MigrationHeuristic"  "greedy"
                  Option     "Tiling"        "true"
              EndSection

Section "Device"
                  Identifier   "LVDS"
                  Driver     "intel"
                  BusId      "PCI:0:2:1"
                  Option     "monitor-LVDS"     "Laptop Monitor"
                  Option     "AccelMethod"      "uxa"
                  Option     "EXAOptimizeMigration" "true"
                  Option     "MigrationHeuristic"  "greedy"
                  Option     "Tiling"        "true"
              EndSection

Comment

Oh, I see, thanks, so you need to do it by hand? Is xrandr supposed to do the xorg.conf fot you when it works ok? I am assuming you can't do this from the System Settings, otherwise you would have commented on this ...

Comment

Yeah, I had to do it by hand. You should be able to use xrandr commands to get the same result. You can issue xrandr -q to get your monitor names. They are usually VGA and LVDS.

Try this one: xrandr --output VGA --left-of LVDS.

I edited my post to point at the dual head page on the Intel graphics site. A config file I created based on their documentation stopped working with the latest driver.

Comment

Thank you! Will do!

Comment

I hope it works. I never did any significant testing with 9.10. I upgraded on my work laptop and I couldn't afford the downtime. I have an older VAIO with an Intel chip but I'm not sure dual head will work at all on that one.

Comment

Hey lmilano,

Did you ever try a dual monitor test on your Intel rig? I'm still looking for reports of success under Karmic. I got dual monitor working with a NVIDIA card under Karmic but haven't had success yet with the Intel 2.9 driver under Jaunty. I'm planning to go from 32-bit Jaunty to 64 bit Karmic this weekend with my Intel box. I might be the guinea pig if nobody confirms success with the 2.9 driver.

UK

Comment

So far, only with the GUI tools, and I could only get mirrored. I'll try to do the manual if I find some time, sorry I couldn't!

Comment

No worries, I'm going to try this weekend. I had to hack the xorg.conf file to get dual monitor working with an NVIDIA 9400M and the latest 190 driver under Karmic. I was a little disappointed, hoping for easier configuration, but it's not there yet. Once you do it a few times it gets pretty easy to fix but still a pain for inexperienced users.

Comment

The thing I just checked is ... well, believe it or not, I couldn't find the xorg.conf i in /etx/X11! Is it already gone? (maybe relocated?) I know it's been almost deprecated in the latest releases of X.org

Another thought: maybe booting connected to both monitors and running dpkg-reconfigure on the xserver will set things for dual monitor in extended mode? (or at least do the boring part of writing the device sections for the xserver?)

Edit: this is actually well known, I just Googled
                              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1260518
                              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1282482

Comment

Working...
                              X