This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubunto does not show up in Boot

Hi all, i-m completely new and lost. Iknow there are many similar topics but seems like none really applies to my case.
    I have a 2 hard disk system, with Hd1 160 Gb and Hd2 1Tb with 2 partitions of 500 Gb. Hd1 has a Win Vista Ultimate installed. Lately,for some problems, i installed a second Vista one of the 2 partitions of Hd2. then i did a win installation of Kubuntu 9.04 on the other partition. All the 3 system where visible on the boot list and functional.
    Now i uninstalled Kubuntu, format the 500 Gb partition with Vista and re/install Kubuntu from Live CD, using the partition were Vista was. I left the other 500 Gb untouched (there are some files on it). I partitioned the space for Kubunto as a 10 GB Home, a 4 GB Swap and the remaining as a Ext4 Root.
    What happen now is that when i restart the PC the boot list shows no Kubuntu, while the second old Vista is still showing out there!
    I am loosing hope to have Kubunto working
    Please HELP!
    Go back to Win
    0%
    We can fix it...
    0%

Re: Kubunto does not show up in Boot

Well, you are certainly trying something very advanced. Is it possible that your are booting from the wrong disk? Maybe the new bootloader is in the other disk ...

Comment

Try this (since Windows is the focus, booting using Vista menu):
      Vista *** The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
      http://apcmag.com/dualboot
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
        Well, you are certainly trying something very advanced. Is it possible that your are booting from the wrong disk? Maybe the new bootloader is in the other disk ...
        Well Imilano, i have no idea: did not select any option about it during installation. So, how do i check it now, and how can i change it? It should be in the disk where /boot is located, right?

Thanx

Comment

hay one queshon you sead you did a Win install of kubuntu the first thime rite??

so were you ever using grub?

or has it allways ben a windows boot loader?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
            hay one queshon you sead you did a Win install of kubuntu the first thime rite??

so were you ever using grub?

or has it allways ben a windows boot loader?

VINNY
            First time i did a win install and then i removed it. Than i installed from LiveCD with personalized partitions.

Comment

Inspired by the imput of Imilano, i decided to try to fix it in the "cleanest" way. I run again the installation from LiveCD and re-install only my /root without formatting. Onthe last screen i selected the advanced option and told the installer to put the GRUB on the boot area of the fisrt disk, the one with Vista.
              Well, it works now, GRUB pops up when i switch on and take c ontrol of everything: 1 Kubuntu and 1 Vista loader.
              Thanx everybody for your help.. I'll come back soon with other stupid questions

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Kubunto does not show up in Boot

I'll come back soon with other stupid questions Grin
                Excellent! We'll be here to provide honest but stupid answers

I think you did the right thing, it is best to start with something simple. If you really like customizing time take your time and do it in parallel, maybe on a second disk, once you feel at home and settled.

So, whenever (and if) you take the plunge in the future: having a separate /home partition is extremely useful, you can roll new/different distros, etc, without touching your data and configuration settings. Other than that, I always use just one /home and one /, that's all.

Cheers!
                Leo

Comment

Working...
                X