This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before i mess-up ...

... it may be wise to check whether my thoughts about the following are right:

My current setup is a dualboot W2k and Kubuntu-9.04 with PartitionMagic as primary bootloader.
    The partitions on my first hard disk are shown in attachment sda_small.png.

The order of boot is:

Code:
    MBR -> /dev/sda3: partitionmagic7.0 -> /dev/sda1: W2k
                      -> /dev/sda6: Kubuntu 9.04 (grub 0.97)
    Now i want to reinstall W2k (keeping the data intact) on /dev/sda1 and replace the PartitionMagic bootloader with grub. Will the following sequence lead to success?

1- unhide /dev/sda1 (via KDE partition manager for example)
    2- boot from W2k installation CD
    3- let W2k setup find /dev/sda1 and install W2k
    4- boot from liveCD for Kubuntu 9.04
    5- install grub on MBR of /dev/sda

The /dev/sda3 might then be merged with /dev/sda1 later on perhaps but i want to leave it now for what it is.

For the last step I need to find out more about how to do that as my current menu.lst on /boot/grub is as shown in the second attachment.

Could someone be so kind and indicate whether my way of thinking is right?

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Before i mess-up ...

Caveat -- I'm not a PartitionMagic user ....

There's nothing about your plan that jumps out as a problem. Is there something unsatisfactory about your current arrangements? It's a little unorthodox, but if it is working for you, I wonder why you are seeking to change it, but only by a little bit. I guess I'm more of a "rip it all out and build it fresh" kind of user -- if I wanted to redo that partitioning scheme and end up with a dual-boot Win2K and Kubuntu system, booted from Grub, I think I'd back up my data and just repartition the drive into 4 primary partitions, with one each for the OSs, one for swap and one for shared data, and be done with it. Install Win2K on the first partition, and do that first, and then Kubuntu all on it's own 10GB partition, and leave a little one for swap and the rest for the data. Kubuntu will automatically find Win2K and put it on the boot menu, and also install Grub to the MBR, so you don't even need to think about it if you install both OSs with Win2K first. You don't need a "/boot" partition, unless you're running a XFS filesystem or something.

Also, I would use a separate GParted or PartedMagic Live CD to do the partitioning, but that's a matter of taste. There is no "KDE" partitioner, but you can install Gparted on your Kubuntu system if you want to.

Comment

For partitioning, I use a live GParted CD that works very well. PartitionMagic once screw up completely my disc, so I don't trust it anymore.

Your plan seems more or less what I've done a few times, minus the PartitionMagic.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Also, I would use a separate GParted or PartedMagic Live CD to do the partitioning, but that's a matter of taste. There is no "KDE" partitioner, but you can install Gparted on your Kubuntu system if you want to.
        Well there *is* a partitioner for kde (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=89595), but I'd also recommend using a livecd as you can only manage unmounted partitions/filesystems.

Comment

I don't know exactly why you are using Partition Magic as primary boot loader.
          As far as i know Instead you might use grub itself which is straight forward..

Comment

Working...
          X