This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mdprobe fatal error

I created two swaps not realising that only one was required and now I am not quite sure how to tell them apart. Also showing my windowsness what is an extended partition?

Comment

Code:
      sudo partitionmanager
      or
      sudo gparted
      will show you how your hard disk is set up.

Basically a hard disk can have up to four primary partitions, which can be booted from. One of those primary partitions can be set up as an extended partition, which acts as a container for any number of logical partitions. So you can have as many partitions on your hard disk as you want, but you can only boot directly from a maximum of four. Logical partitions are fine for holding data, swap files, etc.

I do not know of a way to tell if a partition has been set up as logical, extended or primary from a CLI utility. Partitionmanager or gparted will tell you at a glance.

I'm assuming that if you can boot kubuntu at all, it is on a primary partition, so will proceed accordingly.

Check with one of the above utilities to make sure that's right.

If so, then follow the instructions in section 3 of the grub howto to set your hard disk to boot from the kubuntu partition.

If kubuntu is on partition 6 of hd0:

grub> root (hd0,6)
      grub> setup (hd0)

But double check this with your system configuration before doing it. And be sure you have a live cd to boot your system with in case you kill it by accident (and make sure it works). If you have a live cd, you can fix pretty much anything grub can mess up.

By the way, debian and kubuntu can both use the same swap partition; you will need to edit the /etc/fstab file of one or the other of them so they both point to the same swapfile.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

SOLVED: woooohhhoooo a clean boot thankyou very very much for all your help I now have this pc running perfectly. The time and effort given by volunteers is what makes linux work. Thankyou all for your help

Comment

Glad you got it working.
          Please go back to your original post and add [solved] to the title. That way others can find a solution if they have the same problem.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
          X