Clear All

Windows7/Vista64 and Kubuntu9-64 dual boot on a SSD

I just purchased a Sager NP9280

Specs-
    Sager NP9280 (Built on Clevo D900F)
    - Display: 17" WUXGA "Glare Type" Super Cl
    - Processor: Intel Core i7 Quad Extreme (Nehalem) 975 3.33GHz 8MB Cache
    - Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 280M 1,024MB
    - Ram: ~ 6,144MB DDR3 1333MHz Memory (3 SODIMMS)
    - Optical Drive: ~ 2X Blue-Ray Read/8X DVDRW Super Multi Combo Drive
    - Primary Hard Drive: ~ 160GB Intel X25-M Solid State
    - Memory Card Reader: Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader
    - Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth + EDR
    - Wireless Network: Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 530
    - Camera: Integrated Digital Video Camera
    - Sound Card: Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio
    - Battery: Smart Li-ion Battery (12 Cell)
    - Operating System: ~Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Installed (64&32 bit CD included) + Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit upgrade coupon included
    - Warranty: Sager 3 Year Parts & Labor Warranty with lifetime 24/7 Domestic Tech support

It has a 160gig SSD as mentioned above. I would like to do a dual boot Windows7 and Kubuntu9. A side from choosing a good file system, or tweaking ext3 (as mentioned in another thread), I've heard that windows 7 can corrupt partitions in a dual boot environment. I was looking to get some feedback from you guys regarding dual booting and SSD, as well as dual booting with windows 7 and Kubuntu9.

Re: Windows7/Vista64 and Kubuntu9-64 dual boot on a SSD

Hi

I don't use Windows, but it seems like with Windows 7, once again, MS decided they don't want you to run anything else and bully the competition. So, the usual trick seems to work (i.e., install Windows first, and Linux second; otherwise, Windows will screw whatever is there) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1035999

Besides that, I don't see an issue with the SSD and dual boot. What I would do though, is to add the noatime to the ext3 mount options, so that Linux is not writing the disk every time you read a file. Some people recommend ext2, but I think journaling is nice. Hopefully you can tweak Win7 too.

Hey, you have built some awesome gig! Is the memory triple channel? Kubuntu will fly on this beast!

Comment

Thanx for your input. So i guess i will install windows first and linux second as you suggested. I prefer journaling as well, so i did a little research and there are several tweaks as you mentioned to help reduce disk writing.

This is a laptop, i didn't build it. But yeah it should fly!

Comment

Nice system -- wow, I'm jealous!

One idea, since you have all that CPU horsepower, is to install Win 7 on a VM, and let the whole system be a Linux system. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...o_show&ida=249

Works fine, no issues with your filesystem or viruses or stuff like that (at least not for Kubuntu!). There's a "how to" in the Documents on installing VMWare Player 2.5.2.

The only caveat -- fair warning -- on a VM, it won't be using that fancy nVidia card directly for graphics, so if you're into Windows gaming, then you probably do want a native installation so it can do the graphics directly.

Comment

The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista, 7, and XP step-by-step
          http://apcmag.com/dualboot
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanx for all your help gentlemen!

Comment

Working...
            X