This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start from scratch #3

I first started with Ubuntu 9.04, got it up and running the way I liked then decided upon KDE instead of Gnome for a desktop. Wow, downloaded the addition and had a choice of both. In the mean time I had some sensitive information I wanted to keep on my backup USB connected HD so I encrypted the drive with a password. (Big mistake.) Along came KDE 4.3, so I upgraded it. If you have not guessed, everything crashed. Luckily I have a second computer, an older eMac still running and downloaded the new Kubuntu 9.04 alone. I really don't mind starting over, it's just all these things that keep popping up like not being able to watch a DVD without going to Medibuntu and downloading a whole mess of stuff. See, that might not have been necessary if I had a good backup of my /etc/. Unfortunately I Had it under wraps and I could not get into my encrypted drive, something was missing from the old information. So I have started over. My question is this, how could I encrypt just part of that drive and keep the info safe to open it if this happens again? My system is on a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. I chose to use the whole HD on the laptop and trashed the Vista that came with it, I'm not sorry I did , Vista is %$#@* pardon my French. What is the best encryption application to use and where do I get it?
    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Re: Start from scratch #3

Try this.
    http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/Ecryptfs/

Comment

Re: Start from scratch #3

Hi, thanks for the link. I did not know Truecrypt made one for Linux I use it on my eMac. Problem solved.
      Bob
      Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Working...
      X