This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

password on resume

When I wake my Kubuntu 9.04 laptop after putting it to "sleep", it starts right up without prompting me for a password. That's very convenient for me but rather too convenient for anybody else who might find his way into my room.

What do I fiddle so that resumption after sleep (or hibernation) leads to a password prompt and no further?

I must be missing something very elementary -- but I did search this website (for "sleep resume password"), and found nothing.

System Settings | Advanced | System | Login Manager seems to have nothing relevant: in "Convenience" both "Enable Auto-Login" and "Enable Password-Less Logins" are off but there's nothing about enabling/disabling Password-Less Resumptions.

Re: password on resume

I recently started using the password this way too.

Click on the power/battery icon in your taskbar and choose 'More...'. The option 'lock screen on resume' is at the top of the window that appears.

Comment

Thank you! I hadn't noticed that. Well, it's all obvious then.

Except that it isn't at all. The option "lock screen on resume" had already been checked. It's been a long day so I optimistically that perhaps the clear check in front of me was dark grey rather than black. I therefore clicked it, which removed it, and clicked it again, which reinstated it. Then "Apply", then "OK".

Then I put the computer to sleep, waited a few seconds, woke it up -- and all was just as it had been yesterday. I don't need a password when the computer wakes, and my worst enemy doesn't either.

Uh . . . any other ideas?

PS I've just realized that when it wakes after falling asleep "of its own accord" (on being ignored for so many minutes, as opposed to being told "Sleep!") it does demand a password. (It's as if it has two sleep modes, real sleep and forced quasi-sleep.)

Comment

Assuming you are using a screen saver, under System Settings->Desktop->Screen Saver you can set it to turn on automatically and to subsequently require a password after X time. I think this is what you are looking for.

Comment

Hoary,

I suspect that it's not properly going to sleep when you tell it to. Click on the battery icon, then 'more...' then 'edit profiles'. find the power profile you're using and check the various options 'When laptop lid is closed', 'when power button is pressed' etc.

Comment

Working...
          X