This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved an update issue to KDE4.3.00

Something that might be of help to others.

I was early this morning and noticed a large KDE update was available so I fired up Adept and let it do the update.
    Later when at the office and restarting this laptop I had a new login screen and that's about as far as it would start up, after typing in my credentials it ended in the standard 'blue bubbles' wallpaper with absolutely nothing else.
    Another apt-get update (from the console) brought more packages so I might have tripped over an incomplete update but it still did not allow me to continue logging in.

Reconfiguring the NVIDA drivers or xorg seemed to be the wrong approach as I could enter an x-session, it looked more like a KDE problem.

Renaming .kde did not do the trick.

So I did an
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -reinstall kde-core
    and it told me some 6 packages needed downloading which would take anouther 8 MB of space.
    When done I could startx and continue to log in properly, I've put the original .kde back and all seemed well till I noticed Konqueror was missing.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install konqueror
    found some more missing stuff and it seems I've finally got the new KDE4.3.00.

Update:
    I found another issue, the NVIDIA driver was disabeled and the laptop was running VESA which won't allow 3D.
    The regular System Settings/Hardware Driver tools did the trick.

Re: Solved an update issue to KDE4.3.00

Thanks, you may want to post a quick one liner here with the fix:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3105560

No doubt there is something wrong in the dependencies of the packaging. I am almost positive making sure kubuntu-desktop is installed is enough ...

Comment

It looks like KDM 4.3 (or 4.2.98) is faulty

Comment

I don't think either KDE/KDM is regarding the update issues faulty, both versions work fine.
        It looks more like the update script left to desire...

Comment

Working...
        X