X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4 issue?

Hey there,

I am not really sure where to find an answer to this so I thought I would try the rounds. My issue has been upgrading to Kubuntu 9.04 through the LiveCD -and- through apt-get distupgrade (if I have remembered the command correctly). Both, when booting the install and booting the LiveCD, the boot process crashes at the splash screen. I am sorry to say that I don't have any logs because when I say "crash" I mean both keyboard and mouse are completely frozen.

I am currently running a dual boot Windows 7 RC / Kubuntu 8.04 system. I have also been playing around with Linux Mint (and accidentally downloaded the GNOME version first) and the GNOME version works fine while the KDE4 version has exactly the same issue with the LiveCD.

I am lost as to what to do or where to search for answers as I have looked long and hard already without any luck.

Thanks for any help,
    Zorr

Re: KDE 4 issue?

It is a big step to go from Kubuntu 8.04 to 9.04 using KDE 3 to KDE 4. There are many posts on this topic.

Good to see that you have tried the live CD for Kubuntu 9.04 You may not be aware that Kubuntu have two CD versions for each distro; a live CD which is great for trying on any computer running any OS to see if Kubuntu can recognize your hardware - internet, optical drive, any wierd / wonderful periferals that you may use. The other CD is called alternate CD and this cannot be run in live mode but is used for upgrades. It has more drivers for perhaps more exotic hardware and is recommended as an alternative for upgrades for those with slow or no internet. So, you can use the live CD to see if you computer will run with Kubuntu 9.04 and you can use the alternate CD to do the dist-upgrade. It may be easier to do a fresh install with the live CD as it is not intended to do a dist-upgrade.

Note: Backup your data first. If you have /home or /data on a separate partition, you only need to mount that and it will be preserved, however, going from KDE 3 to 4, it may be better to do a fresh install and copy things that you want from a backup.

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/install...ide/index.html install using alternate installer
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall install using graphical installer (live CD)
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Did you check the md5sum of the download? If you boot into Kubuntu 8.04, cd to the directory where the downloaded .iso is, and type md5sum <name-of-the.iso>. It will take a minute or two.

Did you burn the .iso at 4X? If you do it from Windows, Isorecorder is an excellent program.

When burnt, it is important to select <Check CD for defects> before trying to boot from it.

Comment

Firstly, thanks for the advice. However, it isn't the CDs I am using because I have checked for defects at time of burning (though I will check the md5sum a little later) and I still had the same issue when trying to boot the 9.04 install after doing a distupgrade from 8.04 -> 9.04.

Comment

So - lets get this straight, at the moment besides Windows 7 RC, you have an 8.04 installation which got broken when you tried a dist-upgrade to 9.04?

Comment

Well... I -did- have such a thing on here. It was quite painful to have gone through all that and still have it give the same error.

After a day of trying to figure out what the issue was I just gave up and reinstalled back to 8.04 and since then have just been playing with LiveCDs.

Comment

Do you have any other partitions on the drive besides the one for Windows and one/two for Kubuntu?

Or have you got space where you could make room for another couple? 1 of about 10Gb for / and another of whatever for /home?

Comment

I have plenty of space on the HDD for extra partitions...
                Currently I have the 2 partitions Windows requires, 3GB share partition, 100MB /boot partition and a /, /user, /home (and another) in an extended partition.

Still have about 100GB of free space though.

Comment

I don't think you need any more partitions, if you stuff the CD in the drive, select <Check disk for defects> if it's alright go for an install as i outlined above.

You can mount the Windows patitions as either /windows or /dos and give them whatever label you wish, format / and use it as / and mount /home as /home but do not format it, and then mount the other partitions as you wish.

Comment

hmmm... the LiveCDs still fail to work but an interesting update.

Just decided to, as a test, install and run the latest KDE4 on my stable Kubuntu 8.04 install and suprise, it works. I now have zero clue as to why I am failing to be able to install some of the distros out there with KDE4 packaged part and parcel.

Comment

Before you installed, while the LiveCD was setting on the menu, did you happen to "Check files on the CD"? Even if the md5sum checked out on the ISO that is no guarantee that the ISO burned to the CD correctly.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

hmmm... the LiveCDs still fail to work but an interesting update.
                        Sorry, but could you be more specific about what doesn't work when you run the live CD.
                        Are you trying to upgrade using the live CD, or are you just trying to get the live CD to run as a live CD?

If it is the later, what exactly is the problem? Does it stop somewhere in the process of hardware detection, do you get a terminal, but no graphic screen, does it get to running KDE? That would be helpful.
                        HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

In the case of Kubuntu 9.04, both when trying to run the LiveCD and trying to run the distupgrade install I had, it would always crash on the KDE splash screen after the first icon came up.

In the case of the LinuxMint 7 LiveCD I have also been trying it would just get past booting the kdm and then everything goes to black and locks. No idea there.

Since last time I posted though I have checked the md5sum and reburnt at lower speeds using k3b.

Comment

Working...
                          X