This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distribution Version Upgrade

So, i got a ? for everyone, im currently running dapper drake, and its is running fine no problems at all and love it but im ready for KDE 4 and im ready to upgrade, and it gives me that option from the Adept Updater, is that a wise move and should i know anything in addition as far as updater or upgrading when i make the switch, it tells me that a new distribution version is available. Click here if you wish to upgrade now. if im not mistaken this is the button to click if i want to upgrade to 9.04 correct? So should i know anything that isnt currently working on 9.04 or anything that has been causing trouble for people, i just want to know some back ground info before i jump in feet first, know what i mean?

Re: Distribution Version Upgrade

Originally posted by Cowboy83
    So should i know anything that isnt currently working on 9.04 or anything that has been causing trouble for people, i just want to know some back ground info before i jump in feet first, know what i mean?
    Unless you added the Jaunty repo's I don't think it upgrades to 9.04. Probably rather to the latest LTS release which would be 8.04.

But why not download and run the live CD to get an impression yourself. Then you can also see how well 9.04 (or 8.04 if you choose so) handles your hardware.

For me I have no major issues at the moment - so I'm happy

Comment

Re: Distribution Version Upgrade

Since Dapper was a long term support release with an end of life in June 2009, it is possible that there may be direct upgrade path from 6.06 to 9.04. What you can do is FIRST, save your valuable data such as your /home and any updated configs in /etc or elsewhere. Then you can practice by going into Adept and selecting the Version Upgrade option. Pay attention next because it should tell you what it will try to upgrade to. If that doesn't look right, back out. Then while still in Adept you can update your sources list to the Jaunty path (i.e., replace all occurrences of dapper with jaunty). Then hit the Version Upgrade button again, and watch what it tells you. If you're still not comfortable, download the Jaunty CD, burn it, and try the LiveCD approach.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
      X